Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

April 25th, 2010 17:00

XPS m1530 gaming problems

So recently over the past couple of weeks, whenever I start up games like Torchlight or Fallout 3, my computer will hard power down in around 10 seconds after starting the game. Furthermore, If I ever try to measure my windows experience index, when it tests it, the computer will turn off whenever it reaches the 3d batch 10 assessment phase. Also, my computer has had overheating problems for about a year which have been manageable with a cooling pad, but I'm pretty sure that overheating isn't causing the problem since it happens so quickly. So I'm thinking that my GPU must have failed for one reason  or another, but when I run the dell diagnostics i get nothing. Has anyone else had similar problems with games? If so does anyone have a solution? Also, my warranty ran out a little while ago, but supposedly a limited warranty enhancement can be gained if your computer's GPU failed since Nvidia acknowledged a huge design flaw in numerous different graphics cards (As stated here http://en.community.dell.com/dell-blogs/b/direct2dell/archive/2008/09/12/nvidia-gpu-update-limited-warranty-enhancement-details.aspx), but after explaining my problem to Dell, I got rejected...though I don't actually know why since when I asked they basically responded with the reason because we said so?  Anyone got any Ideas, or opinions on what I should do or why I was rejected?

My computer specs are:

Operating System: Windows 7 Professional 64-bit (6.1, Build 7600) (7600.win7_gdr.100226-1909)
           Language: English (Regional Setting: English)
System Manufacturer: Dell Inc.
       System Model: XPS M1530                      
               BIOS: Phoenix ROM BIOS PLUS Version 1.10 A12
          Processor: Intel(R) Core(TM)2 Duo CPU     T9300  @ 2.50GHz (2 CPUs), ~2.5GHz
             Memory: 4096MB RAM
Available OS Memory: 4094MB RAM
          Page File: 1317MB used, 6868MB available
        Windows Dir: C:\Windows
    DirectX Version: DirectX 11

1 Rookie

• 

87.5K Posts

April 25th, 2010 17:00

A faulty GPU will often cause the display to become scrambled or go black but it will not shut the system down.  Your system is indeed overheating - plain and simple.  If you don't get that fixed, you do risk severe internal damage to the system - and it's not covered by warranty.  Start with a thorough cleanout of the heatsink assembly - just a thin layer of dust will cause the rapid overheating you're now seeing.

April 25th, 2010 23:00

Really? Is it possible for something to heat up that fast? I admit I'm a little skeptical, but regardless ill try out your suggestion. Thanks a bunch

5.2K Posts

April 26th, 2010 14:00

Yes, they can heat up real fast. Download one of several free temperature measuring programs, such as i8kfangui, and watch the temps as you start running programs. Then blow out the dust as recommended previously and remeasure. Cooling pads do not really do much, especially if the ports are blocked by dust bunnies. Another problem is the heat transfer paste  (or pads) that go between the CPU/GPU and the heat sinks. I have seen some very poorly applied materials, and so have others. If you are not afraid to go inside, replace the paste on whichever chip is overheating the worst. This may not be easy, as the M1530 uses the same cooler for both. The CPU uses paste (get Arctic Silver" and the GPU may use a pad.

1 Message

January 3rd, 2012 00:00

I know that this is old but I figure I would post the answer to this since I have seen this question a lot during Google searches. I too have an M1530 and had similar problems. The laptop will run hot, but fine, during surfing the web etc. but playing games or putting it under any stress would cause it to shutdown. I dl'd a temperature program and found that the core was getting up to 99 degrees Celcius and then shutting the system down. It would climb from 55 ~ 60 C up to 99 in mere seconds. More research revealed that this laptop has a tendency to have the air vents clogged. I removed the bottom and took out the fan unit to find it completely clogged with hair/dust. The heat sync was also fried to a crisp, crumbling off. I cleaned out the airways and applied new heatsync goo to the cpu and gpu (there marked) and then put everything back together. Now during high load games, the machine will never get hotter then 68 C. Also, the GPU and CPU are throttled depending on the temp of the pc. The hotter it gets, the worse it will run. Clean out the airways, apply new heat sync, and download ThrottleStop, and your M1530 will run like a champ. It also wouldn't hurt to spend 20 bucks on an external laptop cooler (get one with a fan to move the air).

No Events found!