Start a Conversation

This post is more than 5 years old

Solved!

Go to Solution

August 5th, 2013 15:00

XPS12 Wireless WAN Option?

A question for a Dell representative:

Hi Guys,

Further to my posts regarding XPS12 noise issues, I have just noticed in the Diagnostic Utility (ePSA Pre-Boot System Assessment), on the Configuration tab, the following entries:

Wireless Switch = On

Wireless LAN  = Installed

Bluetooth  = Installed

Wireless WAN  = Not installed

This seems to indicate that there could be a Wireless WAN / 3G option for the XPS 12...

However, I haven't been able to find it mentioned anywhere else. Is there an option, or is there likely to be? This would make the machine SOooo much more usable!

2 Intern

• 

280 Posts

August 5th, 2013 17:00

Hi 191y,

Well the thing is that the ePSA Diagnostic tool that we have manufactured for Dell products is very vast. And its a standardized diagnostic tool that we use on all our desktop and notebooks. So this tool has the capability to check for all the devices / hardware that are present in the computer. Some computers that have WWAN card installed will read in ePSA as Wireless WAN = Installed. Other computers that do not have WWAN card installed, like the XPS 12 will read as Wireless WAN = Not Installed.

In short, ePSA Diagnostic tool is same for all the desktops and notebooks that Dell manufactures. Now, XPS 12 does not have the option of installing a Wireless WAN card internally. Neither, Dell has tested it with any Wireless WAN card. Only Wireless LAN card (wi-fi) along with Bluetooth works on it.

If you would like to use a 3G connection on your XPS12, you can contact your service provider and they can give you a usb dongle in which you can insert a sim card and plug the dongle to the laptop and go online.

Hope this helps. For any other queries, please feel free to get back to us.

35 Posts

Hi there Jyotpal,

Many thanks for the detailed answer. I understand.

I am using my Smartphone to connect to the Internet via the Android Wi-Fi Hotspot service now, but it has a number of drawbacks, particularly Cellphone Battery life (lack of!) Also seems to cause my phone to crash more often, so an internal 3G Card would be great. Too bad it's not possible. I guess you just can't fit everything in yet...

Cheers,

A

2 Intern

• 

280 Posts

Hi A,

You are welcome!

I can understand, cellphones usually drain a lot of battery when they are acting as a hot-spot or when their wireless feature is enabled. If you rely strongly on your 3G connection for internet purposes then I would recommend you going in for a 3G USB Dongle device. It simply plugs in to the USB port on your laptop and you can connect online. If you are not in a favor of plugging in a usb device then you can also consider purchasing a wireless hot-spot device (like the Verizon Mifi) where you put a sim card inside it and it sends out wireless signals just like your cellphone does. Plus it supports upto 5 computers. It should cost you around $50 to $60 roughly. Looks something like this :

You can contact your service provider and check with them regarding the prices and plans they have to offer.

No Events found!