Start a Conversation

This post is more than 5 years old

Solved!

Go to Solution

May 24th, 2016 21:00

XPS13 9350 installed win7 fine but usb not work

As subject states, windows 7 installed ok with the Intel WIM modifier with USB driver version 4.0.0.36.

Now that windows is up and running, I cant get drivers moved to the laptop to update this thing.

Advise?

4 Operator

• 

3.5K Posts

May 26th, 2016 13:00

I sent you a private message so that I can get your information.  Hopefully I will be able to find a solution for you.

TB

4 Operator

• 

3.5K Posts

May 25th, 2016 11:00

If you haven’t done so yet I suggest installing the following drivers manually.

Intel 100 series chipset drivers

Intel USB 3, 1 extensible host controller driver

Intel Thunderbolt 3 firmware

Please let me know if you continue to have difficulties.

TB

Here is a document <ADMIN NOTE: Broken link has been removed from this post by Dell> regarding the issue, USB 3.0 win 7 drivers should correct the problem. 

7 Posts

May 25th, 2016 12:00

I would gladly load drivers and fw.....

My point is, the USB drives aren't working so there appears to be no method of the laptop seeing the outside world. No wifi driver, no rj45, no disk drive, no usb2.0s.

When I plug in a stick, it blinks once and never shows up on the drives list like it doesn't mount. Is there a manual way to try and mount?

I'm wondering if that revision of the drivers or the WIM image build process wasn't just right so after windows loaded, something became corrupt????

I tried the DISM (SP?) app but it kept on giving me issues when loading the drivers in.

4 Operator

• 

3.5K Posts

May 25th, 2016 12:00

Yeah I didn't find this document <ADMIN NOTE: Broken link has been removed from this post by Dell> before posting. The problem is that there are no native USB 3.0 drivers in Windows 7.  This document goes over the process on getting a USB driver installed after installing Win 7. Please let me know if you continue to have problems. 

TB

7 Posts

May 25th, 2016 13:00

I really appreciate your time Terry.

That process is what is required to get Windows 7 to installed. I followed that and it installed like it should.

Upon the reboot during install, I noticed the "hit a key to install windows" didn't show and subliminally thought there was an issue with the driver from the reboot.  The rest of the windows configuration process happened as expected and it went to desktop.

You would think those drivers stayed with the system even after the install.

This sounds like I'm in no mans land

4 Operator

• 

3.5K Posts

May 25th, 2016 14:00

So you have Windows Installed and on the desktop, no USB ports work, and you aren't able to connect to the internet to simply download the driver, is this correct? If so I certainly understand what you mean by no mans land. 

Have you checked device manager, and look for the network devices, if they are listed open them and look for the power management tab and make sure that Windows inst trying to save power by disabling the Ethernet devices, you can look for USB as well if they are listed and make sure that power management isn't causing problems there.  Go into control panel, power options and power plans and make sure that the system is set to high performance and make sure that the AC adapter is connected.  This is likely a missing driver issue, but I hate to think about you going though a lot of fuss just to find out that it is power management. 

Check the system bios as well and make sure that everything is enabled there, again I don't want you wasting a lot of time just for a bios setting. 

Other than that baring some type of unlikely hardware failure you may want to consider trying to reinstall Win 7 again, using the process listed on the document and see if that makes a difference. 

In case of a possible hardware failure I will be shooting you a friends request. 

TB

7 Posts

May 25th, 2016 15:00

Correct to your first statement.

Power port plugged in and when I checked the USB in DHW, is said no driver installed, I think. I will verify power. I did have to tinker with BIOS but things had to be ON in order to install so everything should be enabled.

aside from the USB, theres no other means of communications to the laptop.

I'll report back tonight after checking things.

I may try to sneak the latest drivers in there and see what happens.

7 Posts

May 25th, 2016 19:00

I killed it!  [:'(]

Post code shows 7 white blinks and 2 yellows.  Tells me "No Boot Device Found. Press any key to reboot the machine"

the F keys don't bring up the typical menus. ... just blinks

I had checked all you mentioned but nothing was set improperly. It did say that the USB driver was not installed. So I decided to rebuild the installer USB with another image, again, just as that intel instruction advised. Everything went exactly as it should except at the first reboot that happens it offered two instances of WIndows 7 (even though I formatted the large partition - I guess the MBR held on to the old one) and the USB blinked and went to its "im sleeping" state, how it softly cycles its little led. So it went to desktop and same situation as last time, no USB drivers loaded.

So, I rebooted to check out bios settings again and try to turn off that thunderbolt junk but it never made it. I had just started making another ISO of my Win7Prox64 disk when this all went down.

I'm so mad, I was struggling between this XPS 13 with Win10 and the Latitude 12 5000 with Win7 because they had exactly the same specs but Latitude had the RJ45 but the XPS had better battery life.... come to find out the software I need at work doesn't run on Win10. I knew I should have returned this thing!  [:'(]

7 Posts

June 13th, 2016 17:00

So, the conversation went PM and Terry hooked me up with a free warranty repair!!

They replaced the MOBO, keyboard and reinstalled the original OS.

Dell has never let me down in the past and they have met expectations once again.

I'll have to relinquish the laptop to someone else and find one with Win7 on it because I don't intend to try and brick it a second time.

Oh, BTW, it may have been my fault as I updated the driver files in the image compiler... obviously undocumented process I no longer condone.

No Events found!