Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

April 11th, 2016 12:00

XPS13 / TB15 Charging

I purchased the XPS13 / TB15 (180W) for the docking capability / replacement of my desktop.  My configuration is the TB15 connected to 2 monitors, Ethernet, lighted keyboard, mouse, and speakers.

Having read many of the problems experienced with the TB15, I did the step-by-step driver installation prior to connecting the TB15.  The installation worked almost perfectly.  I did have a problem with the second monitor being identified, but a simple reconnect of the Display Port cable solved that problem.

My current problem with this configuration is that my XPS13's battery drains when connected.  It shows that it is plugged in, but the battery power still drains.  I thought perhaps this might have been that I have a 180W verses the 240W power adapter.  Thinking that there might be too much drain from the peripherals, I purchased an external USB 3.0 powered hub, but this did not help.  I still need to connect the regular power adapter to keep the XPS13 working.

My question is on the power adapter for the TB15.  Would the 240W adapted allow the XPS13 to charge when connected to the TB15?  After reading a Dell Linux forum, the TB connector has limited current, so the 180W/240W only make a difference with the connected peripherals, e.g. external hard drives.  

Perhaps I am missing a Bios configuration to allow charging or some other software configuration.  Does anyone else have this problem? 

1 Message

May 19th, 2016 03:00

Has your current problem been solved ? I have ordered a TB15 dock and a Dell Ultrawide 34 inch monitor to work with my XPS 13. 

2 Posts

May 23rd, 2016 18:00

No, I was told the Thunderbolt connection will not power the XPS13.  I was also told the TB15 would not support two displays.  I am getting a refund, at least that is what I was told.

January 27th, 2017 09:00

After a few months my battery froze at 83% and BIOS said it needed to be replaced.  This was a unit that had already come from the hardware repair depot.

No Events found!