Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

S

October 15th, 2017 15:00

XPS15 9560 touchpad - is there a fix?

Greetings

I've had my XPS15 9560 since mid-Sept 2017 and like many others I am pleased with just about everything but the touchpad. It's laggy and 'precision' is lacking. It's difficult to make fine adjustments eg grabbing a corner of a window to re-size it. The click and drag behaviour is also slightly unpredictable (only works as expected on the right hand side), and scroll speed is disappointing. 

What I have done so far:

• read lots of forums and seen that many, many people have had the same problem in the 9550 and 9560
  • updated all drivers I could update myself
  • tried all the various settings in the basic touchpad settings dialog
  • altered the registry settings
  • spent 45 minutes on the phone to Dell support in India, where more drivers were updated, 'F12' startup diagnostics performed (no issues identified).
  • checked that the battery is not swelling up (it's not)

None of these things has improved anything. After using the touchpad for two hours today I ended up with an aching forearm which is still aching seven hours later.

Today for the first time I connected a wireless mouse, and for the first time have felt I am experiencing the 9560 to its fullest. It finally feels like a 'normal' laptop. But I do not want to have to use a mouse; I expect a properly functioning touchpad.

I've responded to the 'service' email I received from Dell India, however already despair at having to spend more time on the phone with someone desperately searching for a fix (trying anything and everything!).

I'd love some feedback from Dell US/UK as I'd like to fast-track this 'fix' so I can start really enjoying this computer.

Sashinax

4 Operator

• 

9.4K Posts

October 17th, 2017 05:00

Hi sashinax,

Thanks for posting.

Apologies that your computer is not working the way you expected.  Since you've followed all the instructions from the technicians, it may be a hardware issue.  Please fill out the Unresolved Issues form to escalate your issue to the next tier of Tech Support.  You will need the Service Request number the technicians have given you.   http://dell.to/2ytOvJz

1 Message

October 22nd, 2017 06:00

I too would love a solution to this, I have tried different drivers, even did a clean install as mentioned on another part of www but too no avail.

The laggyness is ruining the owner experience for me, coming from a macbook pro that had a awesome trackpad this is like trying to push rope uphill.

I think judging by the amount of people complaining about ti on the net its not a hardware issue but one of *** drivers (My gut feeling)

If I scroll web pages via the touchscreen they move smoothly but use the trackpad and its jerky and slow.

If Dell are want to send me another new build to do a side by side comparison then I'll be glad to prove the result.

6 Posts

December 4th, 2017 09:00

Hi Sashinax,

I am also having the same problem. So frustrating. I found that if I disable the HID - touchpad device (in device manager) after restarting the dead zone issue goes away, but then there is no two-finger scroll or other gesture functionality. So apparently there is something up with the HID touchpad driver as Dellbouy22 mentioned.

I cannot find the registry settings that allow me to change the settings necessary to fix this problem. Also, I cannot find the brand of touchpad so I can determine if I could install a different touchpad driver.

Good luck!

6 Posts

December 5th, 2017 07:00

Check for Windows updates. Mine was an extremely old build. There is a chance that windows is not updating automatically. Install updates. Problem resolved in Win 10 version 1709.

No Events found!