Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

DC

August 3rd, 2011 22:00

XPS15 Cant use nVidia GPU

Hi all,

Hi all. I have the following computer.

XPS15 i7 2630QM 2GB nVidia 540M 4GB RAM FD LCD running Win7 64bit.

Now obviously the CPU being Sandybridge has a built in GPU and well as the dedicated 540M. I have installed drivers for both,and both appear in the Device manager with no issues against them.

In the Nvidia Control panel, under manage 3D settings i have set the global settings to use the nvidia GPU. Now when I run up a game (EVE for instance) and check the video settings it tells me that Iam using the built in Inter HD video controller and does not give me the option of setting this to the 540M.

Also in the nvidia control panel under the set physyx configuration option the connection diagram suggest that the laptop screen is connected to the Intel HD controller.

IS there somethign else that I need to do to force the computer to use the nvidia GPU?

Thanks

August 4th, 2011 00:00

At the moment, no.  This is the problem of NVIDIA Optimus, it automatically selects which GPU to use. No manual override yet, not at the moment.

36 Posts

August 4th, 2011 01:00

OK So you are saying that you cannot manually select which GPU to use, even though the control panel allows you to allocate specific video controllers for individual applications.

So another question is, how do I know whether my video card is actually being used or not?

3.8K Posts

August 4th, 2011 06:00

Hi Doug,

Welcome to the Community. The XPS15 has the Optimus Technology, which controls which video card to use based upon which application you are using. This is to save battery life without compromising on performance. To disable the Optimus Technology, and to know how it works click on the below link and refer to the article by Warren B.

en.community.dell.com/.../nvidia-169-optimus-technology-available-on-new-latitude-e6420-and-e6520.aspx

Hope this helps.

Thank you

Royan

3 Posts

August 4th, 2011 06:00

I think you ve done the same as ME.... downlaoded Generic nVidia Drivers 275 and force updated the driver using Device Manager ... i have found only 1 game so far where i couldnt manualy force the game to GT540M ..... ...

This is because the older nVidia drivers 263 supplied by dell have been modified by Dell to work on the XPS 15 L502X .... as ur using non Dell drivers ..dell wont support the issue ... neither will nvidia ...

I still playing around to see whats causing it so i know for future things ...

BOTH NVIDIA AND DELL's webiste state to use Dell's drivers over the generic nvidia ones

1 Message

August 4th, 2011 22:00

I have the same laptop config, 2 days old and i have not messed around with drivers.  No matter what configuration I selected in the Nvidia control panel I could not get the graphics to switch to the dedicated card.

This is obviously not working as designed.  Are you saying the only fix is to go into the bios and disable optimus?

No Events found!