Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

April 29th, 2011 13:00

XPS15 L502X Nvidia gfx not benchmarked

My 2 week old XPS15 l502X Intel 2630QM & Nvidia GT525M-Optimus will not benchmark the Nvidia gfx.  Settings in Nvidia control panel set for Nvidia card.  Applications added for benchmarker.  Everything I could find is set to choose Nvidia card (didn't check BIOS).  All info says all needed is to choose "High-Performance Nividia Processor" in 3D Global Settings and choose "Use global setting (High-performance Nvidia Processor)" in 3D Program Settings.  I even set both to "High-performance Nvidia processor".   Everychoice I make give the same result with Futuremark 3dMark-11.  Even downloaded Nvidia's benchmark tool Unigine-Heaven.  Same result with it only reporting the Intel graphics as the graphics used for the test.

Any help appreciated.  Even the Nvidia Optimus whitepaper is no help.

Thanks.

3.6K Posts

April 29th, 2011 14:00

You are not the only having this problem with the switchable graphics,not switching.I am still so confused,every program i add and set to run on the nvidia chip refuses.I installed GPU-Z and that app. shows only the Intel chip.Hopefully we can get this figured out.

174 Posts

April 29th, 2011 21:00

I sill have GPU use problem. Hope Dell checks these posts out.

GPU-Z is no longer available. I use "CPUID CPU-Z 1.57.1". CPUID combined CPUID and CPU-Z into one utility application. Update to the newer version if you have not done so. It shows Nvidia card if you click the drop-down button under "Device Display Selection" on Graphics TAB. There are two choices for the Graphics Display Device Selection in CPUID CPU-Z.

Even though CPUID confirms I have both, the programs I run do NOT recognize there is a difference and will not choose Nvidia under any circumstances.

I have chatted with Dell support twice on different topics and asked about this with no specific answer other than "You can see the Nvidia card is specified and selected".  I will go back and try to chat about the graphics issue as the only topic when I have time.  Once I got an answer that this is a software issue and have to talk to the "Software Solution Team" for a fee. There can't be a fee as this XPS is only 2 weeks old!!!  Not only that, the graphic card selection is a hardware issue.  Nvidia Optimus and/or Nvidia Control panel must be the culprit.  Or it is a BIOS problem.

Will talk to Nvidia also when I have time. Contrary to some reports, Nvidia has been cooperative on past issues. U just have to use their system of Q&A - no chat with Nvidia yet.

174 Posts

May 8th, 2011 22:00

OK.  NVIDIA says to disable the Intel Graphics in the BIOS in order to Benchmark (use) the Nividia graphics processor only.   There is no option to do this in the BIOS.  

However one can "disable" the Intel graphics driver via device manager.   Navigate to the Device Manager, expand "Display adapters", right click "Intel(R) HD Graphics Family" and select "Disable".  Reboot.   Run benchmark program and save or print the result.   Reverse the procedure and Reboot.  I have not had time to do this yet.

The Optimus part of the Nvidia graphics mobile driver will automatically choose the graphics processor needed based on graphics demand for special needs.  You can set the preferences in Nvidia Control Panel, 3D Settings.  Be sure you have the latest Nvidia driver from Nvidia - not Dell.  Dell's driver is old and has been improved significantly by Nvidia.  ou should also be able to find a whitepaper from Nvidia on Optimus (links to whitepaper) and how it works.  Optimus is only included with mobile drivers I believe.  Optimus reduces the heavy load on the battery by the Nvidia GPU to an as needed basis (games and graphics intensive programs).

BTW:   The latest version of TechPowerUp GPU-Z is here.   And CPU-Z is here.

No Events found!