Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

Closed

5 Posts

February 20th, 2008 08:00

XPSM1330 repeated booting problem after windows update on vista

Hi all,

Last Friday I had a windows update, and my computer did not boot after. It gave the error message that :

"c:\windows\system32\winload.exe have not found or corrupt"

The only option I have left with is to repair my vista installation with the OS dvd I have. I did that successfully, rebooted and everything was fine. Since then I had the same problem 5 times, usually always when another update is configured, or once when I shut down my computer after my battery was low...

Anyone else had similar problem? I could switch of Windows update but that does not seem to be a good solution for future upgrades/security...

I am really annoyed by this, any ideas how to troubleshoot this (obviouly the DELL webpage helps me with repairing the boot just like I did it on my own but cannot advise me on what to do when the problem repeats itself)

Any help is appreciated:  Viktor

1 Message

February 20th, 2008 17:00

Apparently there is a problem with the updates, mentioned on the Registers website:

http://www.theregister.co.uk/2008/02/20/vista_sp1_prerequisite_update/

Hope that helps.

Bari.

5 Posts

February 20th, 2008 18:00

After I installed updates on Vista, I could not boot to windows.  I received a blue screen and it would continually fail to boot until I used my operating system disk to repair.

My solution.

I have currently found that their is some issues with a windows driver related to the hard drive.  Go to Dells download driver site and download and install the SATA DRIVE driver entitled Intel-Driver which applies to turbo memory.  This has fixed the problem for me and I can install ALL of the vista updates with no crashes or problems. 

Shawn

53 Posts

February 20th, 2008 18:00

Most of the issues associated with your error are dual-boot related. However, you need to do a reinitialization of a hard drive to its factory configuration and start over with your installation. I.e., new partition, format, OS installation, etc.

Try this utility:

http://killdisk.com/

If you continue to experience problems, request a replacement hard drive.

No Events found!