Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

R

September 20th, 2017 03:00

a problem with the extended screen

This is on a Dell Inspiron 3541 laptop, OS Win7 Home 32bit. The laptops internal screen is file, color and all. The problem is with the extended screen which is my HD flat screen tv. The  tv works just find in normal tv mode. But up to a week ago the tv was working just fine in PC mode, the color tint was slightly off, but livable.  Now the tv in PC mode only (tv mode is still fine) is  black and white screen. The desktop is there. I can move a text file to the extend screen and it is clear and readable. But no color, black and white only. When I plug the tv in (pc mode) into an other laptop or tower. The picture in pc mode is fine with color.  I am using a HDMI to vga adapter.. The tv's computer input is vga So what's the problem?

4 Operator

• 

14K Posts

September 20th, 2017 08:00

Are you using this same HDMI to VGA adapter with the other system that works correctly?  Usually strange color issues with a VGA signal is because some of the pins aren't making contact correctly, and whereas on a digital signal like native HDMI, that would cause the entire signal to drop out, with analog signals like VGA it can cause issues like the colors being incorrect or missing entirely.  Is there some reason you can't use a regular HDMI cable to an HDMI input on the TV?  You'll get a much sharper and usually higher resolution picture overall since digital signals are cleaner and many TVs limit the resolution of their VGA inputs.  Or is your TV too old to have HDMI?

88 Posts

September 20th, 2017 09:00

The other laptop that I used for testing has a VGA port as well as the tower. I did borrowed a HD flat screen tv with a HDMI PC display input. That extended screen was also black and white only. Already tried uninstalling the display drivers and re installing them. No help.

88 Posts

October 4th, 2017 03:00

I finely solved both the lack of color period in the extended screen and got the hue correct now . I had to get into AMC Catalyst control center. There is a pull down menu to control the HD flat screen tv in PC mode. The color gain slider control for the flat screen tv in pc mode was some how set to 0. I slid the slider up to a little over 1/4% and the color is back and I changed the hue slider a bit so the hay field is now the tan color that shows on the laptop screen

No Events found!