Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

August 13th, 2016 09:00

alienware wifi keeps dropping since windows 10 upgrade

Hi

My M17 is constantly dropping out since upgrading to windows 10,i have since rolled back to 7 and it works fine. However i prefer 10 so i keep going back,it starts off every now and then and gradually gets worse untill as of now it wont work at all.

Its fine when i plug an ethernet cable in.

Is there anything i can do as i dont really want to go back to 7 as i used to have BSOS problems which i have never had with 10

thanks

4 Operator

• 

20.1K Posts

August 13th, 2016 10:00

Not sure what model you have but older windows 7 laptops might not have windows 10 drivers available and are stuck using the generic drivers. It would be better to rollback to 7 until you can upgrade to a new computer. Check Dell drivers and downloads to see your model is supported with win 10 drivers. If not, rollback to 7.

19 Posts

August 13th, 2016 13:00

thanks mary,no its not supported,however it can work fine for days/weeks at a time,which is better than my bsod problems with 7,however im just going through a bad patch with windows 7 atm.

although since running diagnostics this afternoon its been working fine for 8 hours now without a single dropout

2K Posts

August 14th, 2016 01:00

Hi CHRISL1976,

What is the exact BSOD error you encountered? Does this occur only while on Win 7? Based on the exact BSOD error, we could isolate the source of the issue.

What is the exact wireless card installed on the system? Once you install the Win 10 driver for the specific card and probably make some changes in the card properties, then it should be stable.

Send us a screenshot of device manager with network adapters expanded. If you know the exact wireless card model, then download the driver from the vendor site.

Also, please click my DELL-username and write me a private conversation with the service tag and your contact details(Name and Email) for case records.

Let us know if you have any other queries.

19 Posts

August 14th, 2016 02:00

19 Posts

August 14th, 2016 02:00

19 Posts

August 14th, 2016 03:00

Not sure what the BSOD was,i think it was something to do with bluetooth,i used to get it quite regularly

although its never happened since upgrading to 10

thanks

2K Posts

August 15th, 2016 12:00

Hi CHRISL1976,

Thank you for the details.

I could not find a Windows 10 wireless driver for the Intel Wireless N2230 card. 

You could try reinstalling the Windows 8.1 driver in compatibility mode and check. It might possibly work. However, there is a bluetooth driver listed on the Intel site - http://intel.ly/2aWMREG

I would need more info about the Wireless issue in order to help provide an optimal resolution. Write a detailed description about the wireless issue.

Keep us updated.

19 Posts

August 15th, 2016 13:00

Hi rishi thanks for your help

Some days its fine and others it wont work at all. i think it just says cant connect to any available networks.

or it will work on restart for 5 minutes then drop off. Im sure its driver and not hardware related as like i say if i roll back to 7 its fine.

should i leave it till it next wont work and connect via ethernet and try downloading the other drivers you kindly provided the link for?

2K Posts

August 15th, 2016 15:00

Hi CHRISL1976,

Create a system restore point and continue using the system. 

If the issue reoccurs, then download and reinstall the drivers as advised.

I also suspect the issue is driver related as there are no drivers released for Win10 for this wireless card. Hence, I had advised that you reinstall the driver in compatibility mode for Win8.1.

When you state it does not connect to the network at all, does it detect any networks at that point or not? Do you see the wireless signal or is there a red X mark on it? When it loses connectivity, check for these points and also check if the wireless card is detected in device manager at that point or not.

Try connecting to another network if the wireless works. Create an access point on your Android phone (Blackberry and iPhone might or might not work) and try connecting to the network.

Keep us updated accordingly.

19 Posts

September 4th, 2016 01:00

HI rishi

Just to give you an update,iv updated tot he anniversary edition to see if that improves things,which it hasn't.

Basically i think the network is still connected but i keep getting the no internet icon. Even though my internet is rock solid i can use my other laptop fine.

thanks

1 Message

September 4th, 2016 05:00

Hi chril1976,

The problem seems to be that your previous drivers were transferred to Windows 10 and they're probably not compatible with Windows 10 - I can suggest two things to you.

1. Rolling back to Windows 7 and staying on that version of Windows.

2. Use another computer you may have or use a computer at your local library and install necessary drivers onto a USB then plug the USB into the computer having issues to install drivers.

If this issue persists, I suggest you contact Microsoft.

(Australian website)https://support.microsoft.com/en-au

Please feel free to respond to this reply if you have any further questions.

Much regards,

Tech Yeah

19 Posts

April 14th, 2017 06:00

Hi Again

Practically given up on this laptop since my last post, i only use it  on ethernet for updates.

however its too good to sit in my cupboard so if i was too buy a windows 10 compatible wireless card would that solve my problems and if so can you reccomend which one too get?

many thanks

21 Posts

April 14th, 2017 12:00

I had the same exact problem with a 2230 card in another brand laptop.  I replaced it with an Intel Wireless-AC 7260 and was extremely pleased.  You should be able to find it for less than $30 (I got mine from Amazon).

www.amazon.com/.../

Consult the service manual for your laptop for instructions on replacing the card, it's generally not difficult.  Check before you buy to make sure you're comfortable doing the work.  Download the latest driver package from Intel before removing the 2230 so that you have it available.  Also be sure to uninstall any existing Intel Wifi driver and software before shutting down to do the card swap.  I believe Win10 will recognize the card automatically, but be sure to install the Intel driver package (you don't need any of the Advanced services stuff).

19 Posts

April 14th, 2017 13:00

excellent thanks for the reply ill look into this

19 Posts

April 23rd, 2017 06:00

not sure that card is windows 10? is there onwe which will definately work with my laptop

thanks

No Events found!