RHC_automation
1 Nickel

RE: Dell TB15 Desktop Dock - Step-by-step driver/firmware/BIOS installation instructions for XPS, Latitude and Precision notebooks [UPDATED 07-28-16]

I'm using the TB15 together with a Precision 5510 and two 4k displays. I had massive problems with overheating of the dock (probably caused by the dual 4k setup) - quite always after a period of working, the display connected to the DisplayPort dropped out.

After a few not so successful hacks like drilling holes into the case I completely removed the case. Since then the dock is working quite without bigger problems...

But nevertheless I've wasted a lot of time for troubleshooting and it's a shame how Dell dealed with the known problems...

0 Kudos
Highlighted
iGudi
1 Nickel

RE: Dell TB15 Desktop Dock - Step-by-step driver/firmware/BIOS installation instructions for XPS, Latitude and Precision notebooks [UPDATED 07-28-16]

For months I've seen the Thunderbolt 3 Firmware (A04 01-07-2016) update in Dell Command | Update but have been unable to install it. When I download the driver from the website, it says it's already up to date.

Weeks ago the new Thunderbolt Controller Driver (A00 14-10-2016) was released, and this also keeps showing up in the Dell Command | Update. Whenever I install them, and do a recheck, they reappear.

I've tried to uninstall and reinstall the controller driver, 16.2.52.250, but under my devices it keeps showing driver version 16.2.51.2.

Windows 10 Pro 64bit,  build 10586.679

Dell Precision 5510, Xeon E3-1505M, Quadro M1000M, 32GB, UHD IGZO 4K, 1TB PM951 M.2

0 Kudos
sunta
1 Nickel

my expectation for any improvement tends to ZERO

right now working with DELL to ship back this paper weight

0 Kudos
SonyHome
1 Nickel

New BIOS got released. In the details it says it's to Fix Dell Thunderbolt Dock issue.

Also I see there is update to Intel Management Engine Components but when I tried to install that it says I have to remove the previous driver. I looked in my installed programs and there is nothing for Intel Management Engine. Anyone know how to get around this?

Like the Intel(R) Thunderbolt(TM) 3 Firmware Update few weeks ago, which told me I didn't need the update because I already had it, it seems these Intel updates from Dell don't quite seem to work as expected.

0 Kudos
phlegm123
1 Nickel

I had no problems installing the latest slew of updates (BIOS, ASMedia, Intel) but ever since my Display Port has *** out. Windows 10 sees the monitor but no actual video signal happening. It does work otherwise - I see the Dell boot-up splash screen. The miniDP port works fine... Anyone see anything like this or have any thoughts?

0 Kudos
Thysanoptera
1 Nickel

It has nothing to do with the drivers, just a coincidence that one of the two Synaptics DP hubs inside TB15 died on you at this time - the one labeled VMM3220B. Be happy, you had a long run, it had to be couple of months at least. Mine died initially after couple of weeks. It overheats, I tried all sorts of cooling solutions but it only delayed the inevitable. The mini DP and HDMI are controlled by a different hub (a different model IC) and those work fine.

0 Kudos
Wiktork
1 Nickel

I think every second BIOS update promises "fixing Dock issues" Smiley Happy

I installed it but did not notice any changes. Installing Intel Management Engine bricked my laptop. One day I install Intel ME update the second one laptop does not start. Fortunately I am on warranty period and the technician replaced motherboard (to A03, old one was A00) but I did not notice any changes w.r.t. the dock.

0 Kudos
phlegm123
1 Nickel

Thanks Thysanoptera. Switched to HDMI and worked like a charm.

Thought I would try to see what support would say. Had a very helpful agent who initiated a dispatch of a new TB15.

I then received a call from Dell that the new TB16s are in and they have kicked off a replacement program and my dispatch was updated and I should receive my new TB16 in a few days.

Should be interesting...

0 Kudos
sccofer
1 Nickel

What channel did you use to reach a helpful agent regarding the TB15, I only ever get the it has been past 30 days you cant return it type of agents...I hope a replacement program is true...

0 Kudos
phlegm123
1 Nickel

I contacted support via live chat from support.dell.com. Perhaps factors could be: 1. Purchased in conjunction with 5510, 2. Purchased ProSupport Plus, 3. In the US?

I have an official email now from Dell saying I will be shipped a TB16 (and instructions on returning my TB15).

0 Kudos