Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

December 16th, 2009 18:00

bad battery or bad power adapter? xps m1730

Hi,

I am getting a messge at power up that my battery is not charging, and is no in fact showing as 0% charged.  It can not determine if I have power?  My power adapter is plugged in, but performance is bad.  Do I need a new power adapter or a new battery?  how do i know?

thanks,

Rich

37 Posts

February 22nd, 2010 11:00

Hi Rich! I have the SAME problem and I'm wondering the SAME thing! can someone here at the dell community/modd or anyone with some info help us please?   I'm not getting the  " Invalid AC Adapter (Cannot Be Determined " could it still be the adapter?  thanks guys...  sorry I couldn't help Rich!  lets hope someone here can help us out!

Shawn

37 Posts

March 2nd, 2010 10:00

I ordered and received my new adapter today and now the orange blinking on the right hand side is gone but the laptop is still reading 0% and not charing? the bio says the battery is still good! anyone know what is up??? :-/ plz

3 Posts

March 2nd, 2010 17:00

I spent ALOT of money for this XPS M1730 and I will NEVER BUY ONE OR ANYTHING FROM DELL AGAIN!!!

I have had more problems with it, and now my warranty is up and the battery will not charge again..DELL should be ashamed of there selfs to put out a a product that cost alot of money and more people have had problems with it....I will keep post negative things till the gets fixs!!! Dell charge me $166 for a new battery...SICK!!!!! I have 3 dell laptop's in my house and the XPS M1730 has been a nightmare!!! If anyone could help me with with problem my email is

<ADMIN NOTE : Email id removed per privacy policy>

It's just sad that this has to happen to everyone that owns the XPS M1730...

2 Posts

March 2nd, 2010 20:00

Hi again,

Well, after purchasing a new battery at the suggestion of the Dell help desk, it is now totally discharged too! Another tech advised me that since the BIOS is not recognizing my power adapter at startup I need a new mother board!  yah right.

I don't really use this thing as a laptop.  When I showed it to my co-workers it was dubbed a moble computer, not a laptop.  Anyway, I always have it plugged into power and it functions just fine that way.  But lose power and CRASH!  So, this is my first and last laptop.

Thanks for listening,

Rich

3 Posts

March 10th, 2010 17:00

Guys this is a manufacturing defect with the XPS 1730 power adapters as well as many other adapters for other Dell models.

Does it say in your BIOS under the AC Adaptor: Unknown Device Installed ?

If so then the PCID wire in the power cord that communicates with the laptop has torn because its so tiny, or the ID chip in the power adapter is dead. Or even worse the ID chip on the motherboard that communicates with the power adapter is dead, in which case you will need a new motherboard and or new power brick if you want full power back. Yeah took me almost a year to find why my 1730 is running so slow. When the BIOS cannot determine the ac adapter connected its performance is reduced from its stock speed of the CPU, and if you have a x7900 or x9000 CPU overclocking will not work.

Get full details here:

http://www.laptop-junction.com/toast/content/dell-ac-power-adapter-not-recognized

And check out these posts also

http://getsatisfaction.com/dell/topics/xps_m1730_invalid_ac_adapter_cannot_be_determined

November 3rd, 2016 15:00

Motherboard getting ready to bug out on you. Mine did this for the longest time. I replaced battery and power brick. Finally I said the *** with it at least its working on plug in power. Then one day I left my computer on for an hour came back and it was off. I tried turning it back on and notta. Changed batteries and power brick, nothing. Motherboard had to be replaced..

No Events found!