Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

July 30th, 2014 14:00

battery

Since dell wont let me email them, I guess I'll ask here.

I haven't been using my laptop much the last few months and just two days ago when I turned it on everything was fine until my battery got low and I decided to charge it. The laptop died anyways and when I tried to plug in the charger the cable would not light up.

I tried it a few times and now the charger does work, but now my laptop wont turn on unless plugged in and only shows a constant charge of 9% despite saying that is is charging.

What can I do to fix this?

9 Legend

• 

87.5K Posts

July 30th, 2014 15:00

Unplug the system, remove the battery and hold the power button for 30 sec.  Verify that the AC adapter LED (or the LED on the DC plug) is ON before you plug in the notebook end.  If it is not, the adapter is bad.

Plug in the notebook end and boot to BIOS/UEFI setup (f2 at powerup).  Verify that the AC adapter is recognized (not showing unknown or not installed).

If the adapter isn't being recognized, try a new Dell adapter - if that too is not recognized, the DC jack or mainboard is bad.

If the adapter IS recognized but the battery will not charge, the battery is bad.

No Events found!