Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

November 20th, 2016 06:00

black screen

I have a Dell N7101 laptop. When I boot, it comes up to the Dell logo and then goes black. I have checked memory, battery, tried safe mode, last known good configuration and a number of "F" key combinations I have found online. Nothing works, I have connected an external monitor and get the same results as well as running the hardware diagnostics which comes up with no problems.

I'm thinking maybe video card but I have two questions: (1) Why does the video work during the splash screen and loading Windows and then turns black with a cursor in the middle of the screen. (2) Shouldn't the diagnostics have indicated a video card problem if that's the case. Any help would be appreciated.  Thank you,

dpmazz

November 20th, 2016 19:00

Hi Dpmazz

Thanks for writing to us.

Could you please run the lcd test by shutting down the system, hold down the letter D and power up the machine, after 5 secs let go the D. Check if you get the solid bright colors on the LCD.

Also if possible please try this hard drive on another machine or another HD on this machine.

Do provide us the system tag# and also confirm the name the system is registered under. Let us

know the contact number and email address.

Are you able to toggle the caps lock at the splash screen(does it response)?

Regards

3 Posts

November 21st, 2016 14:00

Thank you for your replay. I ran the LCD test and I DID get the solid bright colors. I have not had a chance to switch hard drives yet but I did boot to a Linux disk and it worked. Does that mean the video card is OK?

I appreciate you assistance.

Dave (dpmazz)

3 Posts

November 21st, 2016 14:00

I also was NOT able to toggle the caps lock.

November 23rd, 2016 21:00

Hi, Nice to hear from you. Please click on my name in blue and send us the system tag# and registered name once again please. Also is it possible to format the hard drive (provided the data is not important or backed up before). As per the test the LCD looks to be fine, but keeping in mind even on external monitor there is no display, could be even the video drivers alone that might be causing the problem.

December 1st, 2016 19:00

Well I just spent the past three hours working on this for a client.

It is a faulty driver for the Intel Iris Graphics 540.

Here are the steps that I had to go through.

1)   When you turn it on you will get a black screen...hold the on/off button for 8 seconds to turn it off then immediately turn it back on

2)    Do this two or three different times.  You will eventually get to the blue screen to select advanced options

3)   Go to advanced options, then click on the Start menu, then click on Restart

4)   Restart the computer and then select option 4 when a list of options comes up (this is to boot up in Safe Mode)

5)    When in safe mode right click on the bottom left button then click on Control Panel

6)    Click on Device Manager

7)    Under Display Adapters there will be Intel Iris Graphics 540.   Right click this and click disable.

8)    This will use the default Windows driver.

You can then reboot and it will work but you will not be able to use the intensive graphics.

I updated the video driver, the chipset, and the BIOS and got the same thing of the black screen after the Dell splash screen.   Dell tech support told my client to format the hard drive and reinstall the OS.  What a pansy way out on this when it is a definite issue with the display driver.  

By the way this is the same display driver that is used in the Surface Pro and those people are having the same issue.  The Iris Graphics adapter is a royal piece of junk if this happens!

Thanks,

Kelly Wilke, MCNE, MCSE, CCSP

No Events found!