Start a Conversation

This post is more than 5 years old

Solved!

Go to Solution

January 5th, 2016 18:00

booting failure due to graphical card ATI Radeon HD 5450- black screen

Hi Dell community,

My laptop Inspiron 1764 from 2011 was working very well with win7 untill windows suggest I should update to win10 one month ago. The update been easy but after few hours i had a black screen and then impossible to boot.

I figured (too late) that the 1764 was not tested yet with win10 even if i had a pop up on my screen asking to update every day...

To make it short Dell told me that the only option was to go back to win7 but as my recovery CD was dead i had to buy a new one. Dell send me a Reinstallation DVD windows 7 home premium SP1 64bit. So I have formatted my disc, installed win7 from the CD, re installed all drivers from the dell web site (except ATI Radeon one) after disabling the video card but I’m still stuck with the same issue... the ATI AMD radeon 5450 still crash my laptop.

I'm only able to use it via the VGA after desinstalling the Display adapter in safe mode. Now I’m using standard VGA graphic adapter to boot without going to safe mode but with a really poor resolution and my screen still black.

I run all diagnostics on dell website and they passed.

Please help as I'm going crazy with this laptop! one month I'm working on the issue and each time i thought I have the solution it failed.

What do you recommend me to do?

9 Legend

• 

87.5K Posts

January 6th, 2016 03:00

This is a GPU failure -- the GPU is a permanent part of the mainboard in this model, so you'll need to replace the system board to solve the problem.

9 Legend

• 

87.5K Posts

January 6th, 2016 15:00

It's unlikely Windows 10 killed the GPU -- it is more likely the GPU was close to failing and coincidentally showed its fault after the install.

The boards look to run between $150-200 -- though if you have to add labor to have it changed, likely means the total will be in the $250-300 range and given the age of the system may make a replacement better than a repair.

5 Posts

January 5th, 2016 21:00

I have run the BIOS diagnostic and it comes with error code: 0321.

error code 2000-0103.

hope this could help.

thanks

5 Posts

January 6th, 2016 14:00

Ouch... the computer was working very well before I install win10. it actually worked with win10 for few hours and then when I launch the Dell full diagnostic test it crashed and never recover . could win10  have killed my GPU?

How much is a system board ? not sure it make sense I probably have to buy a new laptop ;(

thanks for your answer

5 Posts

January 6th, 2016 21:00

thanks

4 Operator

• 

6.4K Posts

January 6th, 2016 21:00

:emotion-2:

Support Service for Expired Warranties:

www.dell.com/.../out-of-warranty;

No Events found!