Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

E

February 11th, 2009 10:00

charger not charging laptop!!!

i've had my inspiron 1521 for about 18 mos now...a few weeks ago, i noticed that my charger's green light wasn't lit nor was it supplying power to my laptop. i ordered a new charger, which i've now had for only a few days - and now i'm having the exact same issue with it. i don't know what to do...and i'm having trouble finding support and information to figure out what i should do.

pretty please can anyone help me? with a cherry on top?

1.6K Posts

February 11th, 2009 10:00

It's most likely a faulty mainboard - out of warranty this is an expensive repair ($400-500).

16 Posts

February 11th, 2009 11:00

I had a similar problem awhile back and was told by Dell support that I needed to replace my "reed switch" located on my Insp5160 under the palm rest (requires removal of top cover) but would be alot less expensive.  However, when I disassembled, I found a cooked transistor on the mainboard, and had to replace it (mainboard).  I found a fair deal on e-bay for around $200 including shipping.  Check out your reed switch 1st.  I don't know of a test for it, so you might just have to replace it and see if that does it or not.

3 Posts

February 11th, 2009 13:00

awesome...my last dell fried something b/c overheated apparently. we even got a laptop cooling pad/fan thingie for this one to help make sure it didn't happen again. lotta good that did.

thanks for the info!

3 Posts

February 11th, 2009 13:00

ugh...i hope it's something more simple than that...*fingers crossed*

No Events found!