Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

September 23rd, 2013 16:00

clean install of windows vista

i have a dell inspiron 1721 laptop computer i recently tried to take the bios back to the factory settings after which the computer wouldnt start up after 3 attempts using the on board diagnotics it still wont  start windows  but did say there were hard wear faults ive also tried a clean install of the operating system to the number partition  it goes as far as starting windows for the first time but goes no further any advice anyone?

7 Technologist

• 

16K Posts

September 23rd, 2013 16:00

Create a bootable diagnostics USB or DVD as instructed on page 409 of this document and run the full diagnostics.

750 Posts

September 23rd, 2013 20:00

i have a dell inspiron 1721 laptop computer i recently tried to take the bios back to the factory settings after which the computer wouldnt start up after 3 attempts using the on board diagnotics it still wont  start windows  but did say there were hard wear faults ive also tried a clean install of the operating system to the number partition  it goes as far as starting windows for the first time but goes no further any advice anyone?

Hi richie54,

You have mentioned about hardware faults during diagnostics, may I know the exact error message that appeared?

2 Posts

September 24th, 2013 06:00

the fault code came up as 2000-0146 i read up on the site and it said reset the bios to default settings after which vista wouldnt start  it kept saying no memorys i went into the diagnostics and it done its tests i did this 3 times at the last attempt it said the laptop had hard wear problems which it would list when it next started which it never did so then i tried a clean install of windows vista but still it wont start up it hangs where the oblong box with the lights going along and goes no further i cant even start it in safe mode

750 Posts

September 24th, 2013 12:00

Hi richie54,

Based on your description, hard drive has encountered failure and it needs to be replaced. Refer the following link to check the computer’s warranty status: http://dell.to/19jog3q

If the computer has active warranty, please send me the service tag and registered owner’s name on the computer in a Private Message. To send me a Private Message, click my Dell-User name, and then click Send a Private Message.

If the warranty on the computer has expired, you may contact our expired warranty services to purchase/replace the compatible parts. Please refer the following link that has contact details for our Expired Warranty Services: http://dell.to/14Zllxk

No Events found!