Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

April 8th, 2015 09:00

closing lid sometimes does not sleep the machine (XPS 13 2015 version)

I seem to have a problem when I close the lid on my new XPS 13 - mid spec broadwell 2015 version.

It does seem to be intermittent and not always repeatable but I will also try to confirm this.

Basically I can think of 2 recent instances where I closed the lid, no power plugged in, and it appeard it had not slept.

In one example I opened the lid a day later (power not plugged in) and the battery was flat.

The second example was I put it in a laptop bag, took it out after about 1 hour and it was very very hot with the fan going and had drained a full battery to 40% within that short time in my bag. I am certain it was in tight enough such that it would not have accidentally been opened.

I had done all relevant BIOS updates and windows updates as necessary. and the setting in control panel is set for the laptop to 'sleep'when the lid is closed (I haven't touched these settings so this is the default setting)

Any thoughts?

1.2K Posts

April 9th, 2015 02:00

Hi ,

Good day !Thank you for writing to the Dell Community Forum.

To resolve this issue I would suggest you to try performing these troubleshooting steps,

1)Uninstall the graphics driver and the Intel HD driver on the system and then reinstall both of them  .

2)After restarting the system just to eliminate the hardware I would suggest you to go to power options again and then after selecting balanced click on change plan settings and choose to put the computer to sleep withing 2 mins of inactivity .

I hope this helps. Please feel free to write to us in case of any further queries. 
Have a good day!

Kindest Regards,

5 Posts

April 10th, 2015 03:00

thanks for this, ,can you give me a bit more of a hand hold?

I can remove a driver but where do I find the most up to date files for reinstalling them?

Also, I dont have any Intel HD driver by that name.  I have a  Samsung SSD hard drive. are you asking me to reinstall that one?

Cheers

1.2K Posts

April 10th, 2015 08:00

Hi ,

Thank for your reply!I would request you to forward the service tag of the system (via private message) and OS installed on the machine so that I can look into the details of the system and assist you with the relevant drivers.

Kindest Regards,

2 Posts

May 21st, 2015 02:00

Hi,

i think i have the same problem, only that it exists permantly.

Everytime i close the lid, it doesn't seem to really go into sleep mode.

If I have 50% battery left, and close the lid, and come back 6-8 hours later, the battery is completly empty.

Sometimes if i am only gone an hour, and open the lid there is a problem with wifi. Wifi is connected to my network, but no internet connection. Deactivating and activating the device again solves the problem.

I did reinstall the graphic drivers. No effect.

Did you find a solution yet?

I have the same laptop: DELL XPS 13" 2015, i7 version with qhd display.

I updated the bios to the last version and my dell update program says that i have all the latest updates.

Every help would be appreciated.

Thank you in advance.

5 Posts

May 21st, 2015 05:00

Annoying hey!

I can't quite tell hands down, but I think mine has been resolved. 

I also had to re-install the intel HD driver as per Jennifer's reply - link to the driver she gave me here

http://dell.to/1H0xpQT

2 Posts

June 1st, 2015 06:00

Hi!

thank you for your answer.

Unfortunately uninstalling the old driver and installing that driver didn't do it for me.

Maybe someone from Dell can assist me to find a solution?

Best wishes

2 Posts

June 11th, 2015 11:00

Welcome, I have same issue.

XPS 13 i7-5500U with Win 8

It seems I can't put my laptop sleep or hibernate as it's just turn off display, KB is lid up and power button is on.

It's due to i7 not support Win 8 feature (InstantGo).

So, only I can do is just have system whole time turn on which is not giving me full Win 8 experience!!!

What I may do now to be able to use my system with all features?

If I'm mistaken please provide fix for this.

1.2K Posts

June 12th, 2015 09:00

Hi ,

I would ask you to confirm you have made changes with the power options (Go to control panel ,then power options from there choose the option which says choose what to do when lid is closed  ,do set it according to your requirement  .

Below is the screenshot of the same ,

I hope this helps but do reply to this post if there are any queries ,

Kind Regards,

1.2K Posts

June 12th, 2015 09:00

Hi @AZZMIJA ,

To resolve the issue with your system I would suggest you too go to power options listed in control panel .

Then select the option which says choose what to do when the lid is closed ,then the system settings open's up from there you can select the option to put the system to sleep or hibernate accordingly .

I hope this helps .

Have a good day ahead !

Kindest Regards,

2 Posts

June 13th, 2015 08:00

Jennifer,

I know how to setup power option. I know how to search on web too. As mentioned unit is not going sleep or hibernate. After closing lid no way to resume work without hard power off. I did all of that and also BIOS update, touchpad drivers reinstalled and FW upgraded and even Graphic drivers reinstalled. Nothing helped and now my laptop is with Dell service to get it fixed.

Regards,

azzmija

1.2K Posts

June 15th, 2015 13:00

Hi ,

I see that the you have performed most of the troubleshooting steps .Now that the system is with dell service station ,kindly inform the technicians the issue that you are facing on this system .Also do send the service tag of the system via private message so that I can check the details of the case .

Kindest Regards ,

13 Posts

June 23rd, 2015 02:00

I have experienced one time yesterday a sleep issue with XPS-13 early 2015 model with qhd display and 512G SSD, the machine is only one month old. I am very concerned to destroy or damage my machine by handling like this.

I closed the lid - placed the computer in a protective sleeve and carry bag. Just moved it a few feet to another room and left it. After about 2-3 hours when I returned I felt a high heat and the low battery light was showing, the machine was very hot and was slow to respond initially.

I don't really recall what I was doing at time of incident.  My concern is that this type of incident can destroy my machine and reduce its life and reliability.

I have tried to check and update the drivers at support website but the update website reports that "Intel(R) Management Engine Components Installer"  a Chipset driver need update but when downloaded will not install as "newer versions" are already on my machine.

I have invested a lot in this computer and want to make sure the software and firmware is properly installed and maintained.

How can I make sure I am using the correct drivers for this machine??

Is there any way to be sure the computer is actually asleep before/after/when closing the lid?
I have tried using both lid closing and sleep from Power down options and raining the lid brings the beast back to life so how do I know it is really sleeping at all??

12 Posts

August 3rd, 2015 16:00

Since upgrading to Windows 10, I am also experiencing really strange sleep issues with XPS 13 2015 model, QHD touch screen, i7-5600. I am often using an external monitor which means that the lid is closed all the time. Clicking Sleep in Windows Start Menu seems to put the computer to sleep only for half a second: the fan goes silent and immediately back on. External keyboard and mouse stay powered. Display turns and stays off, but e.g. moving the mouse (NOT even clicking) turns it back on. I am not even being asked for my credentials after "sleeping" even though that should happen according to my settings (Require a password on wake up; On battery: Yes, Plugged in: Yes)!

If I repeat the sleep command several times, finally, after retrying enough, the laptop will sleep (external devices get unpowered and Windows 10 would ask for my password after waking up). Sometimes it takes only 1-3 trials, sometimes even 10. If I keep the lid open when giving the sleep command, I can see that the led on XPS 13 power button turns off, but still the previous comments about the laptop not really sleeping are valid.

I am very unhappy with the earlier proposal in this thread to setup the power options so that the computer automatically sleeps after two minutes of inactivity. This is not what I want my laptop to do and it is not a real fix to the issue.

1.2K Posts

August 5th, 2015 07:00

Hi Ja5ka ,

Do forward the service tag of the system via private message so that I can check the system specifications to assist you further  .

Kindest Regards ,

371 Posts

August 6th, 2015 06:00

i have a dell 3542 laptop. since upgrading to win 10 (dont remember it ever doing before upgrade), my laptop doesnt always shut down all the way. last night i did a shut down, unplug and all. then this morning when after getting up, i noticed (for the first time) the front light was RED. after plugging in and all and booting, says battery is used up. this happened the other day, except it had only been a cpl of hours. and when i took out of laptop bag, it felt warm on bottom, where the CPU is. and the charge was down for what should have been no reason.

so it appears to me that maybe its the fan not turning off? dont know. and like i said , only since upgrading to windows 10 have i seen this.

No Events found!