Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

December 2nd, 2014 13:00

dell inspiron 3521 second ram slot problem

I have the dell inspiron 3521 and I bought 4gb more of ram. I wanted to have 8gb of ram in my laptop. however it seems the second slot isnt usable and the gold contacts stick out with the second slot(the slot that's furthest from the motherboard that was empty). just to make sure the ram actually works I took out the original ram and put in the new ram into the first slot. I am actually running on the new ram, the old ram also will not fit into the second slot. I do not know what to do.

7 Technologist

• 

7.1K Posts

December 2nd, 2014 21:00

Hi woo990,

Good work on troubleshooting. Yes the slot seems to be damaged you will need to replace the system board or use the system with only one memory stick or check with a local computer technician who can replace the slot.

January 3rd, 2015 14:00

I too am having the same problem with the same computer Dell inspiron 15 3521. The top ram slot farthest from the motherboard is broken, the gold shinny parts of the ram don't fit right for some reason, I did the same trouble shooting as WOO990, the only diffrence is I bought 8 gb of ram, wich I am running on now. My warranty already expired so I am not sure if a can get this fixed.

2 Posts

January 3rd, 2015 15:00

I actually got it in after lots of messing around, apparently the top slot is really hard install but functions. It took me a few hours of getting frustrated and walking away. I don't understand why its so hard to do.

No Events found!