Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

April 10th, 2012 14:00

dell inspiron n5030 cpu upgrade

i was wondering if i could uprade my N5030's cpu? right now i have a Pentium(R) Dual-core T4500 @ 2.3GHz with 8 GB of RAM and a 64-bit operating system

500 Posts

I would recommend turning off McAfee and testing, as it has been known to cause issues.

I would also recommend downloading CPU-Z and GPU-Z as great monitoring programs. They will provide you more information.

I also use HWiNFO64 as my preferred tool, but it can be a little complicated. It does, however, provide a great deal of information.

Maxing out at 100% can definitely lead to lower performance in games, but my concern is your RAM usage and GPU usage.

What are your current system specs?

500 Posts

ejn63, thank for the response and information.

I would like to add that upgrading the CPU will NOT void the warranty. The warranty is only voided by damage to the system, and any changes to the system that cause damage. Within the normal warranty, you can do any upgrades or normal changes to your system, down to upgrading parts and replacing the thermal paste.

This is not to say that your new CPU you purchase will be covered within a Dell warranty, unless you purchase it from Dell. However, the rest of the system will still maintain and in tact warranty.

24 Posts

it happens at random times in-game and when i play these games the only things i have running are in my process and that's usually McAfee and whatever the computer runs. sometimes when i am in-game ill start the task manager and look at the cpu usage it drops and goes to 100% alot

24 Posts

well right now i can play Total War shogun 2 but it is very slow and the other is Supreme Ruler: Cold War. i can play these games but after a while they crash and when i look at my cpu it is at 100% for both games.

24 Posts

well i checked and i have one of the fastest and i dont know which core to upgrade too. i want my clock spped to be faster to so games on my computer can be handled by the cpu

500 Posts

Games can definitely benefit from a better CPU, but the GPU is a driving force in game and video performance. What type of games are you wanting to play and are not able to currently?

9 Legend

• 

87.5K Posts

Yes, to a faster Pentium Dual Core or a Core 2 Duo.

No, to any Core i CPU.

Upgrading the CPU will void the warranty, if you have one remaining on the system.

24 Posts

right now Pentium(R) Dual-core T4500 @ 2.3GHz with 8 GB of RAM and a 64-bit operating system i used to have 3GB but i just upgraded the RAM to 8GB

9 Legend

• 

87.5K Posts

I'll leave it to a moderator to decide, but I'm just about 100% certain that it's been brought up before - and that a CPU upgrade WILL VOID any remaining warranty on the system.

500 Posts

It sounds like there may be something else going on over the cpu and other resource usage.

The cpu and other usage does not typically increase as use of a program progresses. Meaning that you do not have 40% usage when you start, then 60% usage an hour later, then 100% usage two hours later and a frozen game.

Bottlenecking is a problem, but should be evident relatively shortly in use. (within the first few minutes).

What other specs are you running in your system, and does the issue happen in all games, some games, specific parts of games, or just at random?

500 Posts

April 10th, 2012 15:00

I do not know the compatible cpu list, yet, but can definitely find out :)

As for the game performance, did you start having issues after the ram upgrade?

I would also like to have you uninstall and reinstall directX, as well as your sound drivers, gpu drivers, and system bios. You can find these listed under the drivers and downloads section of the Dell website.   

Then test it out and let me know if you are still getting the similar issues

24 Posts

if you can find the list i would be very happy and it appears my computer doesnt have directX cause i can not find it in a system search and the RAM really helped my computer speed also

24 Posts

can you also tell me what cpu's i can upgrade to?

500 Posts

Were you able to play the games without issue when you were using the prior RAM?

Click the following link for instructions on how to check the current DirectX version:

windows.microsoft.com/.../Which-version-of-DirectX-is-on-your-computer

I would still recommend redownloading DirectX as this is needed and if your DirectX is not installed or not functioning properly it will cause issues. 

24 Posts

yes i could still play the games but on Total War Shogun 2 i had to use a lower directx version. The RAM only made the games move slowly with the upgrade they can move faster

No Events found!