Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

December 17th, 2009 05:00

dell studio 15 screen distortion and graphics issue

I have a display issue with my studio 1537. I purchased my laptop in Feb and upgraded from vista to 7 using a retail version of windows 7 home premium upgrade.

Since upgrading the screen will distort and blur when i try to do simple things like switch between open windows or use aero snap.

I contacted dell email support and and they replaced my motherboard. This didn't fix anything. They would no longer respond to my emails so i called dell technical support. They made me do a clean install over the phone which didn't fix anything either. Dell then sent a technician to my home. He replaced my motherboard and returned the next day to replaced my motherboard another time, and also the LCD screen and screen cable.

I have now posted my laptop off to dell's repair center in the hope it will come back fixed. Below is a screen shot of the distortion. it generally occurs most around the tops of windows at first, and then spreads to fill the entire window or the desktop.

Has anyone heard of this issue before? I am getting frustrated at dell because they constantly insist on replacing the motherboard. I think this is because i have Intel integrated graphics. I heard on other forums that it can be fixed by replacing the 1gb ram for a 2gb chip to make a total of 4gb. (i currently have 3)
could someone please help me i would really like to have a working laptop for the holidays.

1 Message

February 23rd, 2010 11:00

I have the same problem with my studio 1737.  I've found that turning off the Aero features have cause the problem to stop.  It isn't as pretty as I like but much less annoying.  I also have 3gb of memory, did you upgrade to 4 and did that fix the problem?

1 Message

February 26th, 2010 18:00

i have the same problem

i upgrade my vista to windows 7 pro and this thing started.....

i read about this on internet that .....releasing a new bios update will solve the problem lets hope.

and the same problem can be solved by taking out that 1 gb ram.......

1 Message

March 21st, 2010 15:00

Although I'm currently using a (brand new) studio 17, I thought I might post this reply here, since I was experiencing the same problems, My screen used to look like this:

But after I turned off Aero, I've found the distortion doesn't occur anymore. Also I didn't have to increase my memory.

3 Posts

March 21st, 2010 18:00

I was having the same problem with my Dell Studio 1537.  I ran Windows Update, which found an optional update for "Intel Corporation - Display - Mobile Intel(R) 4 Series Express Chipset Family".  My Windows Update says it was released in February 2010.  That was yesterday, and I've only seen it show up briefly (it fixed itself).  So, it doesn't seem to have fixed it completely, but it does seem to be better.  You might give that a try.

If it shows up again, I'll try turning off Aero as suggested by the others.

4 Posts

March 11th, 2011 19:00

Normal 0 false false false EN-US X-NONE X-NONE

Hey guys,

After researching the internet for months, I have finally found a solution to this problem. Go to the Intel website http://downloadcenter.intel.com/Detail_Desc.aspx?ProductID=3246&DwnldID=18631 and download/install the drivers listed.

The drivers at this link are older drivers for the graphics card which work and you are not going to have the problem anymore. The actual problem is happening because Windows 7 is not compatible with your computer which has 3gb of RAM. You can downgrade your RAM to 2gb or upgrade it to 4gb, none of them ideal….or just download and install the older drivers listed at the link ;).

Make sure you do NOT install the newer graphics drivers when running your regular Windows Upgrade process. Because if you do, you will have the same problem again….and you will have to download/install these older drivers again.

I have seen over 30 threads on the Dell web community web, and at least 50 external threads/blogs on the internet (thousand of users – literally). None of them giving the actual solution. But here I’m finally solving your problem Dell. You are welcome…I’ll take a free laptop for the favor, you have my info.

1 Message

April 26th, 2013 11:00

Thank you so much. This problem was driving me crazy! I seriously tried a bunch of things but just dealt with it for years. THANKYOUTHANKYOU I hope Dell gives you a free laptop.

1 Message

December 3rd, 2013 12:00

@ Dejansh,

You cannot imagine how useful your post have been, finally a solution to my problem.

P.s Forget a free laptop, you should be working along side with DELL.

No Events found!