Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

H7

November 25th, 2016 07:00

dfs.agent.winservice

Got back last Tuesday after a surgery with drawings that HAD to get out for permits.  My Precision 7810 was all but frozen.  Rebooted and same problem. Checked Task Mgr and CPU was 99% in use with an odd file dfs.agent.winservice eating 97%.  Fortunately I saw the name of file on Dell Community but solution was not clear.  Fortunately I got a Dell Tech on the phone and he walked me thru the entire process of disabling that file permanently with 'Service' function. If I had not checked Task Mgr and reached Dell Tech my office would have been shut down for the holiday and my project failed deadline.

I strongly suggest calling Dell if you have this issue.  It is DEVASTATING, but so far I have not seen how or why this could happen, just corruption with a Windows 10 update.

Community Manager

• 

54.9K Posts

November 25th, 2016 18:00

Thanks for posting this Dell Foundation Service (Dell.DFS.Agent.WinService, DFSSvc.exe) issue. The intent of the Dell Foundation Service software is to provide a core set of messaging and support functions to us. Obviously, it is not a requirement of the computer and the operating system. Which is why I stated in other threads to uninstall it through Control Panel- Programs and Features. I think that uninstalling the software rather than disabling services is a better choice. If at a later time a user does want us to help them troubleshoot via remote processes, we will guide them as to what software they might need to install. The software itself will be updated periodically, so at a later date you could choose to reinstall it and retest.

December 5th, 2016 12:00

Thank you Dell-Chris M

While having  an online Dell Pro Support session this past Sat., my OS stopped working and I had to go to my Acronis/WD backup drive to recover files.  It IS NOT a coincidence that on the same day I experienced the dfs.agent.winservice corruption my Acronis/WD stopped backing up.  I lost two weeks of backup files because I did not know it had stopped.  It would be helpful for us less knowledgeable users to have a step by step list of how to uninstall this file and an explanation as to why this file exists and why it can get corrupted and take over our CPU's as well as stop my Acronis backup.

Thank you again for responding. Harry

No Events found!