Start a Conversation

This post is more than 5 years old

Solved!

Go to Solution

Closed

January 22nd, 2009 20:00

do i need a hard drive?

got a inspiron e1405 with vista. I have had a problem lately when i start running a few aplications, I hear a ticking/scratching noise that sounds like the hdd going nuts, then the computer freezes, sometimes it will reboot or will do nothing and I need to restart it. If I run safe mode, no problems. Ive run memory scan, no problems. ive run disk check but only compleats about 50-60% then will not continue. I have tried reinstalling windows and start over, but no love.

could it be something other than hard drive or do i need a new one. if so anyone know what kind.

315 Posts

January 24th, 2009 22:00

:^/ Assuming that you have a Windows install disc and can boot from your hard drive, you might try to boot from either a GPartEd live CD, or a Puppy Linux live CD.  Both of these are free, and either one should allow you to re-format your C:\ drive. 

Then, you can boot from your Windows install CD, and do a clean install of Windows.

;^) Good luck....

January 26th, 2009 17:00

could not keep reg windows up long enough to burn a boot disk, replaced hdd, problem solved.

52 Posts

January 23rd, 2009 01:00

Hi,

First run dell diagnostic to verify about your hard drive.If there u found any problem then logged with dell for new HDD installation (if u r in warrenty) other wise purchase a new one.

January 23rd, 2009 20:00

ive tride to run scan disk on the hdd, but it will not complet. gets about 50-60% and will not continue. any other ideas?

315 Posts

January 23rd, 2009 22:00

:^/ If the disc checking utility crashes the system partway through the checking process, then it may be a hardware problem with the drive itself.  In you place, I'd backup the drive to the extent that I could, and then re-format it.  The format process automatically maps around problem sectors on the disk, see, so that it'll never try to access them again.

;^)°º(I once bought a laptop at a yard sale for $1.00.  It had exactly that problem, and wouldn't finish booting because of it.  Windows® kept trying to check the disc at startup, and the check would never finish.  I fixed it just as described above....)

January 24th, 2009 19:00

ive tried to format the hdd, but I cannot format the partition with windows on it. vista wont let me format a partition that is in use. I tried to reinstall windows, hoping it would do an auto format, but I dont think it did. any suggestions on how to get my main partiton formated?

No Events found!