Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

October 14th, 2010 08:00

e6410 built-in webcam

Hello,

I received a e6410 laptop through ma company. XP is installed on it. My problem: the webcam is not working.

So, first I download and install the latest driver from the dell website. But there was an error during the installation.

Then I look in the device manager and no webcam is present at all. So it's seems to be an hardware problem. 

So I go to the bios and look for an option to activate it but there is no option in the dell bios...

Does anyone know have an idea to solve my problem (a way to have my webcam detected by the system)

Thank you

1 Message

October 23rd, 2010 00:00

I am having the same problem and I can't find a fix either.  Have you resolved your problem?  And if so, how did you fix it?

5 Posts

November 13th, 2010 13:00

I have also problem with hardware in Dell e6410 (webcam, hsdpa modem, analog modem).

Maybe our laptops just have gaps instead of those devices.

Are you sure that your laptop has a webcam? - I think it is ambitient light sensor - not webcam.

Regards

Rostek

December 10th, 2010 23:00

Dear

Ru slove ur problem with ur webcam or not yet i have also same problem

can u tell me if u do it

thanks

1 Message

December 29th, 2010 16:00

it is just a sensor not a webcam you should see twice the same gap but the one in the midlle of the screen will be web cam

1 Message

April 23rd, 2011 07:00

On the spec sheet for e6410 it says it is a webcam.    I am looking for the Windows 7 x64 drivers for it.   Anyone who knows where to get it please let me know.

4 Operator

• 

3.5K Posts

April 29th, 2011 12:00

There should be native drivers for the Webcam in Windows 7 for most of our systems.   The following link gives instructions on correcting webcam issues.

http://support.dell.com/support/topics/global.aspx/support/kcs/document?docid=266612#Issue3

Close any applications that are currently using the webcam. Save and close any applications that you are currently working on as the system will need to restart.  
  1. Click Start
  2. Right-Click Computer
  3. Click Properties
  4. Click Device Manager on the left hand side
  5. Click Imaging devices
  6. Right-click the Integrated webcam
  7. Click Uninstall
  8. Follow the prompts to continue to uninstall the Driver.
  9. Once uninstalled restart the computer
      Note:
    After your computer restarts there will be a series of prompts that will reinstall the webcam driver automatically.

Webcam's dont ship by default with the system, if you didn't order one when you purchased the system then it is very likely that the system doesn't have one.

If this fails to work then you may have Windows corruption. One of the reasons it is crucial to make sure that no apps are using the webcam, and that the webcam is completely removed from device manager.

TB

4 Operator

• 

3.5K Posts

April 29th, 2011 12:00

If you wish, shoot me a private message with the service tag of the system and I take a look to see if it shipped with a webcam.

If you are sure that the system shipped with a webcam (it has worked before)  then make sure that no programs are trying to use the webcam.  Use msconfig if you have to, start / run / type in msconfig and press enter.  Click on services, check 'hide all microsoft services", and then click "disable all".  Click on the startup tab, click "disable all" and click ok and choose to restart the system. 

Check device manager, click View and then click "show hidden devices" and check under imaging devices and make sure there is nothing listing the webcam. Then try downloading the latest driver from the Dell website and see if that helps.

TB

An afterthought, please make sure to return Msconfig to normal startup after installing the Webcam Driver.

1 Message

May 31st, 2012 21:00

Terry, 

I am having the same problem as the users above. I tried the steps you outlined above, however, when I went to device manager, my computer does not even list a "Imaging devices" option. I know for a fact that I have an integrated microphone and webcam, as I used it last week when my computer was operating using Windows XP. It was when I upgraded to Windows 7 that I have been unable to record audio or video using the microphone or webcam. It seems as though the computer is not recognizing the existence of the mic or the webcam, and I have tried installing the drivers for both from the Dell website and I receive an error message that states "Could not find an integrated Webcam" when I try and install the webcam driver. As for the microphone, I tried installing the IDT driver but I don't know if this is the correct drive to install the mic. Any suggestions?

4 Operator

• 

3.5K Posts

June 1st, 2012 09:00

Adam

Unfortunately they may be no drivers available for the webcam with Windows 7.  With our systems that ship with Windows 7 the webcams are designed to use the native webcam driver built into Win 7.  If this is a system that shipped before Win 7 came out, then the webcam may not have a compatible driver at all with Win 7.  If your system shipped with Vista then there is a chance that the Vista driver may work, so that is one thing that I can suggest that you try.  If there is a Vista version of Webcam Central for your system try that.  

If you have a newer system, but a business model that shipped with Windows XP but is fully compatible with Win 7 then you shouldn't have to install a driver. If you do have an E6410 as the others in this thread, then you can try running diagnostics to see if the webcam is detected.  Start the system tapping F12 and choose diagnostics. Allow the basic tests to complete, you may be asked to run memory tests, choose no, and choose yes for hardware tests.  Choose symptom tree and then choose problem with USB device and see if the webcam is detected and if there are any problems.

When you reply please do include if you have a E5410 or some other model, and the results of the diagnostics if you were able to run the USB tests.

TB

3 Posts

January 16th, 2013 08:00

Hi, I have a E6410 and my cam is listed in the device manager. BUT it will not show and image at all. The blue light doesn't light up to say it is working either.

Any software I use never shows an image. I have got the most up to date software for Win7.

:( Is the camera goosed?

Mike

9 Legend

• 

30.3K Posts

January 16th, 2013 15:00

Mike,

Did you recently install/reinstall the operating system? If yes, did you install the drivers in the correct order? How to Download and Install Drivers in the Correct Order

Windows 7/8 is supposed to provide the webcam drivers for most Dell computers. If you system needs webcam drivers, go to Drivers & Downloads enter your service tag, then select your operating system. If your system needs webcam drivers, they'll be listed under Input.

Try reading...

Troubleshooting the Dell Webcam and Dell Webcam Central Software

You can try this file, also known as Dell Webcam Central.

Create a new unrestricted user account and try the webcam. Did the webcam work?

If yes, log out and log back in to your account and try the webcam. Did the webcam work?

If no, then the webcam became detached from the motherboard, usually near the webcam

Is your computer is under warranty?

Rick

3 Posts

January 17th, 2013 03:00

Hi Rick,

Thanks for the reply. Well good news is I got it working. Bad news was I ended up having to slight press and twist the area where the camera was and hey presto it fired into life. I think the board that the camera is on must have a dry joint.  :emotion-39:

So that will need replacing at some point... 

Cheers anyway.

Mike

9 Legend

• 

30.3K Posts

January 17th, 2013 11:00

Mike,

Sometimes the webcam come loose near the webcam, I think ot's where a lot of people open their laptops. The bezel on many can easily pop out, there are some models that are screwed in at the top. Without the model, it's like guess work. Popping out the bezel enough to unplug, then plug the webcam back in usually solves the problem.

Take care,

Rick

3 Posts

January 30th, 2015 16:00

This is an old thread, but from what I am reading, people still have the issue and no one has offered an answer yet.  I am hopeful that now that time has passed, maybe someone has a fix for the issue.

Here's the problem.

Dell Latitude E6410 with integrated HD Webcam.  Pulling back the bezel allowed me to confirm that not only is there a webcam where it should be, but that the connection is firm and as it should be.

Note that the light sensor is operational as well, these are two different devices and the bezel reflects this with an extra square hole with blue LED 'dot' next to it, rather than the bezel that only has positions for the MIC and light sensor as are on my other E6410's (I have 20).

Also as further proof that the webcam itself is operational, it worked properly not an hour ago.  (yeah, things can break, but it's unlikely)

I believe the cause is obvious, the problem is that I cannot find a solution.  

I believe that the cause was the BIOS update A16.  I have been updating the BIOS on various machines from all the way back in A01, this machine was on A06 before I updated it to A09 then to A16.  A16 requires that system to be at A09 before it will update.

As soon as the update completed, the BIOS lost the webcam as an option under Misc. devices.  This in turn causes the OS not to see the webcam and this drivers and the Dell webcam software itself does not detect the webcam.

What I need, and I believe that these others that posted their issues probably need, is a way to bring back the Webcam into the BIOS.  It's not that it's unchecked... it's not listed at all!

I have other machines that have webcam's that were updated to A16, using the same installer, and they all have the same issue.

Laptops that have operational webcams are all runnng either Windows XP, or Windows 7.  I've eventreloaded Windows 7 using the Dell Recovery Disk as well as the driver disk, installing the chipset first. (I did this because I know that people are going to suggest it, despite that face that the BIOS doesn't care about which OS you have). I then installed the red Resource Media disk and still have the same problem on this one computer.

For all other computers, including Windows 7 machines, no disks were needed beyond the Resource Media disk.  

I am certified for work on this machine (and a ton of others lol), so I am comfortable doing whatever fix you have in mind.  

Note: 3 laptops are doing this after the A16 update.

9 Legend

• 

30.3K Posts

January 30th, 2015 23:00

morganae,

Below I have listed the steps I suggest before removing the plastic bezel, then unplug the webcam, the plug it back in.

Did you recently install/reinstall the operating system? If yes, did you install the Dell System Software(if applicable) and the chipset drivers first? If not, the rest of the drivers will fail to install. How to Download and Install Drivers in the Correct Order

Windows 7/8 is supposed to provide the webcam drivers for most Dell computers. If you system needs webcam drivers, go to Drivers and Downloads enter your service tag, then select your operating system. If your system needs webcam drivers, they'll be listed under Input.

(Windows 8)How to make the webcam work with help from this youtube. You have to open the Camera app first, and then click Settings on the charm bar to see where you can give the app permission to use the webcam.

Try reading...

Troubleshooting the Dell Webcam and Dell Webcam Central Software

You can try this file, also known as Dell Webcam Central.

Make a system restore point.

Start, control panel, device manager, Go to the USB Controller section and click the + sign. Go to each USB Root Hub. right click on it, left click uninstall.

Restart your computer. When you login, the new hardware wizard will reinstall everything. Please be patient, it could take up to 2 minutes.

Try the webcam and see if it works.

If no, then the webcam became detached from the motherboard, usually near the webcam

Rick

No Events found!