Start a Conversation

This post is more than 5 years old

Solved!

Go to Solution

November 27th, 2013 02:00

e7240 CONSTANT LOUD NOISE FROM FAN / VENTILATOR TURNING ALL THE TIME

We received 2 brand new E7240s directly from Dell, one for myself and one for my colleague. As soon as I turned it on to build it for my colleague, I noticed the machine was overheating and the fan was making a noise. Dell suggested a BIOS upgrade which didn't change anything. They then changed the heatsink, again this changed nothing and since then they changed the motherboard. My colleague has gone on holiday so I don't know if her issue has been resolved, however, my laptop from day one does not overheat (as obviously as it did for my colleague) BUT THE FAN TURNS ALL THE TIME. So much so that I think the person in the upstairs bedroom is using her hairdryer. Dell replaced the heatsink and the motherboard yesterday, I have done the same BIOS upgrade and the problem is even worse. As soon as I switch the thing on, the ventilator turns all the time making a loud noise. My previous model was the E6500 and I wasn't bothered by any noises it made.

The 7240 makes so much noise that I want to throw it out of the window :emotion-39: , seriously I am going to switch back to my 5 year old e6500 which is now very slow, I just can't take the constant hair dryer noise from the fan! I am waiting for Dell to get back to me but I don't see what else they can do.

I suspect there is a design problem with newer models, someone with a Latitude 13 Notebook has also mentioned it on the forums, also someone else with an e7240 states "I have noticed the fan running much of the time - it's quiet but you're aware it's spinning.  I am just setting it up though, so the CPU is fairly busy." A person with the e6320 states "And the fan is loud and turns itself on way too often". 

14 Posts

July 13th, 2015 06:00

The fan design of the Latitude E7250 and E7240 is terrible, hope the next generation will be better. We started to disable turbo boost in bios now. That seems to help in some situations.

1 Message

July 24th, 2015 08:00

@framboiseboo: I agree with that. We will wait till E7250.

7250 also has the same noisy fan!

1 Message

November 3rd, 2015 14:00

HI. I bought the E7250 for my girlfriend and it's very noisy too (especially when installing Windows updates). It's hot too when there is high CPU usage.  Reminds me of HP DV4 series ...
Is there a way to have Dell support solve it  ? If they change the fan and issue remains .. its pointless.
How can put the stress on this issue ?

I wanted to buy one E7250 for myself (and install Linux on it)  I really wonder it's a good idea

Dell should solve such issue - or will loose customers' trust - or customers.

December 2nd, 2015 09:00

So i just received a Dell 7250 - refurbished by Dell. I thought I was going to love it as I have had a great experience with a 7240 ( i5 4300U).  NO fan noise at all.

YIKES...fan noise was out of control on the 7250.   Fans would cycle up and cycle down.  Was tempted to put back in box and ship back to Dell.   This thread gave some clues but all very dated, and did not work.

System is i7 5600U/W10/8MB/256 SSD.

I found a simple solution.  Boot into the BIOS and under system performance, edit the Intel Turbo Boost - to disable.   Yes...you will loose some top end processor speed, but your fans will be quiet as a mouse.  2 days now an no recurrence. 

This is not optimal, and DELL should address, or make it known that Turbo Mode will require CPU to run fater ( thus hotter) and thus FANS go on.  Buyer Beware.

3 Posts

December 8th, 2015 16:00

Disabling Intel Turbo Boost in the Bios worked for me. e7250 doesn't make a sound now.

1 Message

February 1st, 2016 05:00

Just received 2 brand new Dell Latitude 7250 Intel Core i5 vPro. Started them both up and discovered one was slightly noisy when processing but quiet when idle the other sounded like it was at the start of the runway and about to take off even when idle and if left idling for more than 5 minutes it sound like it was trying to take off, very very noisy.

The simple solution above worked like a charm, I sitting here now with both laptops logged in and in virtual silence barely a murmur. The end users of these laptops are never going to push them to their limits and will never know but as DELLLAPTOPFAN said it's not optimal and Dell should address it.

[ F2  on startup to enter the BIOS ]

Thanks.

1 Message

February 15th, 2016 23:00

Hi,

In E6330, i see an option is "Thermal mode" in power configuration. it could solve this problem but in E7250, it no exists anymore. How to bring this option back.

1 Message

March 4th, 2016 09:00

I have an E7250 purchased 8/2015 and this is still an  issue

3 Posts

March 16th, 2016 12:00

I have got a new Dell E7250 in Dec 2015 and still struggling with the issue. Honestly, cannot work from it for more than 30 min

1 Message

July 11th, 2016 14:00

This has nothing to do with the Turbo feature.  Its a driver issue.   There is a memory leak with the current wireless driver that Dell has for this model of laptop.  I have several of these deployed in our office and it took me a while to figure this out.

Go to Intel's website and download the Proset wireless driver and software for your OS and install it.  This is will start using the Intel driver for the wireless chipset and not the driver that comes from Dell.  This will resolve your issue.  I have tested this and implemented it on all of our machines in the office and have had no more issues with the overheating and constantly running fan.

https://downloadcenter.intel.com/product/72252/Intel-PROSet-Wireless-Software

9 Posts

December 6th, 2016 09:00

Guys,

Did you fix your problem ? I'm facing the same issue with my E7250 latitude. CPU 5600u (i7)

Thanks

1 Message

December 9th, 2016 07:00

My laptop is a E7270 (received today) and had not only the same issue, but also a strange rush noise (like something breaking inside "tic tic tac).

The solution gave by  MJDALLAS solved immediately the problem (after reboot). Thanks a lot!! I was already being mad with that noise.

So has he says make an upload of the wireless drive.

2 Posts

January 14th, 2017 10:00

Wow! This actually did the trick for me!!! I'm using a Latitude E7250 and ever since I received it I've been having that issue. When I followed your guidelines, I found out that it was the Windows Update process that was overkilling my processors.

I've already made all the updates on Windows, but for some reason the process kept on restarting over and over again. I've put an end to it and I can now work with High Performance profile with no problems whatsoever.

Thank you Peter!

January 20th, 2017 08:00

My work laptop is a Dell Latitude E7240.  For the last six months, I have periodically tried to fix the seemingly random full throttle CPU fan noise.   The fan noise seems to be independent of the load on the CPU.

I updated the BIOS (UEFI actually) to the latest version, changed the OEM fan, replaced the motherboard, looked for manual settings in the UEFI all to no avail.  

Yesterday, I loaded an application on my system SpeedFan 4.52.   It enabled me to set the target CPU temperature manually, and maximum allowed temperature before the alarm.   I changed the default thresholds from 40/60 Celsius to 60/80 respectively.  

Since changing the settings, the fan noise is gone with no ill effects from overheating.

No Events found!