Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

April 9th, 2014 03:00

e7440 Brightness Adjustment

Hi

I have an e7440 but the brightness function doesn't work. The only want to change the brightness is from the BIOS but it cannot be changed dynamically when windows 7 (32 bit) has booted.

Other functions using the Fn key work.

Any help would be great.

3 Apprentice

• 

540 Posts

April 9th, 2014 10:00

Hi space 77,

Thanks for your post. Unfortunately the Latitude Exx40 systems do not have an on-screen meter within a Windows 7 OS for LCD or keyboard brightness. Please see the following article for more details:

Latitude Exx40 - No on-screen display when changing brightness of the LCD or keyboard backlight

http://www.dell.com/support/troubleshooting/bz/en/bzdhs1/KCS/KcsArticles/ArticleView?c=bz&l=en&s=dhs&docid=643977

Thanks,

1 Message

May 9th, 2014 10:00

Hi Shawn B,

I too have this same issue. We are deploying these out to our new hires and users who need upgrades and they are having the same issue. However, my co-worker is not. His laptop and my laptop came from the same batch of orders and for some reason he is able to use the FN + Up or Down arrows to adjust the screens brightness.

Is there a driver that he has that we dont? The specs should have been the same as mine and I cant adjust the brightness of the screen, unless I go into the video card properties and adjust the brightness, contrast and gamma levels. Any help would be appreciated!

thanks!

-R

7 Posts

December 24th, 2016 16:00

Hi,

I have found the article already, but saying "there is no solution" is not a solution ...

Apparently dell is not willing to make the effort to solve this, but someone (user) might still (unofficially) find/workaround a way.

BTW it really should not be that much of an effort to make the Feature Enhancement Pack compatible with these series. Having that installed, the OSD icons did show up, just the line indicating the level is stuck at some value (which does not correlate with the brightness) and is not changing.

the version closest to "working" i found is this one: MHVWP

Dell Feature Enhancement Pack:

System-Utilities_Application_MHVWP_WN_2.2.1_A00.EXE

www.dell.com/.../DriversDetails

I remember having tried many versions (but most probably not all) and there have been differences. So actually a list of all available versions for different systems (with download links) might be useful already - one of them might just work. (even if not designed blah-blah ..)

I hope we can get somewhere.

7 Posts

December 24th, 2016 16:00

the video driver has something to do with this, as according to my experience on the newer models it is not done deep by BIOS but by sw on OS level.

Some times, quite randomly it does not work for me either. A workaround i found is to close and open the display, that fixes it most of the time.

No Events found!