Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

S

February 10th, 2013 10:00

faulty access point or faulty wireless card?

I have a customers Lattitude E6400  with a Intel(R) WiFi Link 5100 card and I just replaced a failing hard drive with a new RMA unit. OS updated, latest drivers installed. The issue is the customer now reports the computer freezes when it's connects to the WIFI network in certain areas. This issue doesn't occur in all locations. For example, I can't reproduce the issue connecting to the access point near my desk. or If I turn off the wireless switch and start up the machine in the affected areas it will boot up fine and work correctly. As soon as I switch on the wireless switch and it connects to the network the machine freezes.

So far I've, removed all saved credentials for the network, repaired the network connection in the OS, reinstalled the drivers, checked the antenna connections, reseated the card, reinstalled the operating system. Nothing has fixed the issue. I did however swap the card with my Lattitude E6400's Dell WLAN 1501 Half Mini-Card wireless card, and I couldn't reproduce the issue.

So my question to you what should my next step be? I'm still waiting on an answer from the wireless engineering team. Do you think the card is bad? I don't want to RMA the card just because it works fine in other areas, no freezes whatsoever.
[Poll]

9 Legend

• 

30.3K Posts

February 10th, 2013 12:00

someitguyinbaltimore,

When you reinstalled the operating system, did you install the Desktop/Notebook system software(if applicable) and the chipset drivers first? If not, the rest of the drivers will fail to install. How to Download and Install Drivers in the Correct Order

Start with the Desktop/Notebook system software and the chipset drivers and follow the list.

I would go to Drivers & Downloads enter the servicxe tag, then select the operating system. Under network, download the drivers for the wireless adapter and save them to your desktop.

Make a system restore point.

Start, control panel, device manager, network adapters, right click on the adapter, uninstall. Tell it to remove the drivers and software.

Restart the computer. When you log back in, the new hardware wizard will try to install the drivers but fail. Then install the drivers from the desktop.

What happens?

Rick

February 12th, 2013 05:00

Thanks Rick for your response. I don't know if the drivers were installed in the correct order as I didn't originally install the OS and drivers. After following your suggestions the issue still persists.

February 14th, 2013 10:00

So I took your suggestion and the issue persists. So because I didn't know if the machine was originally installed correctly. I reinstalled the OS from OEM cd's, Downloaded all the updates (DSS wouldn't allow me to install until SP2 was installed), and reinstalled all the drivers in the correct order. The issue still persists.

I swapped cards and the problem still exists. When I swapped with my DW 1397 card. The issue doesn't persist. So I'm wondering if this Intel 5300 Card doesn't like this particular access point. Any thoughts?

February 15th, 2013 06:00

Checked with the wireless engineering team and they seem to think it's an AP threshhold issue. They're going to be adding in another access point.

9 Legend

• 

30.3K Posts

February 15th, 2013 13:00

someitguyinbaltimore,

You're not using some type of Mac address filtering, are you?

What about your virus program and firewall?

Rick

February 15th, 2013 15:00

Well the network here sort of uses MAC filtering. The devices get a temporary  IP address from the network until they authenticate and request an IP address through a portal page. But I have manually added the MAC address to the network. so I don't think that could be the issue.

I didn't install any Anti-virus after the initial installation and I left the Windows firewall at the default settings.

I really appreciate you taken the time to help. Thanks again.

9 Legend

• 

30.3K Posts

February 15th, 2013 16:00

someitguyinbaltimore,

Never got to try the 5300. I used to own the 5100 adapter and here are My Intel WiFi 5100 AGN Connectivity Settings

They should be similar. Maybe something there will help.

Your Latitude uses Dell Control Point or Dell QuickSet? If Dell Control Point, did you try uninstalling it? It's not needed unless you have some type of profile setup.

Did you try letting Windows manage your connection?

How can I disable wireless configuration services and enable the Windows XP Wireless Zero Configuration services

How to start Wireless Zero Configuration using Vista/Windows 7/Windows 8

Did you also try the drivers from Intel's website? Intel® Driver Update Utility

Rick

No Events found!