Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

May 10th, 2012 04:00

hl-dt-st dvd+-rw gt32n not working

For some reason my hl-dt-st dvd+-rw gt32n drive has stopped working.

It wont read any discs I put in even though it was wo9rking yesterday.

Please help

jax2002001

4 Operator

• 

4.4K Posts

May 10th, 2012 04:00

Hi jax2002001,

Welcome to the Community,

Have you tried both Cd and DVD ? Do you get any error message?

Check if the DVD drive is getting detected under Computer(click start,Computer and see if the Dvd drive is showing up).

For further trouble shooting try the steps mentioned in the link below:

http://dell.to/KoYZKa

Let me know if you need more help.

Thank You

Roshan

4 Posts

May 10th, 2012 05:00

I have tried both CD and DVD neither work,

There is no error message,

The drive is being detected and I have been into the drives properties and it says it is working.

I have followed the link you provided but I have tried everything but it still wont work.

jax2002001

4 Operator

• 

4.4K Posts

May 10th, 2012 07:00

Hi jax2002001,

Since  you've tried all the steps mentioned in the link and the issue still persists you may need to get the drive replaced.

If you system is within warranty,click on my user name,add me as friend and private message me your system service tag number.

Thank You

Roshan

4 Posts

May 10th, 2012 08:00

I cant actually reme,ber if my warrenty is still valid is there anywhere I can check.

jax2002001

4 Operator

• 

4.4K Posts

May 10th, 2012 09:00

Hi,

Click on Enter Service tag number on the link below and use your system tag number( found on the bottom of your system on a sticker)  to get the warranty status:

http://dell.to/K5vYkr

If you have trouble getting the warranty information,private message me your system service tag.Click on my user name,add me as friend,send friend request along with Service tag number.

Thank You

Roshan

5 Posts

November 14th, 2012 11:00

hi, I have same problem with hl-dt-st dvd+-rw gt32n in my dell laptop. not reading any discs. can you please help me?

4 Operator

• 

4.4K Posts

November 15th, 2012 00:00

Hi lylle80,

Welcome to the Community,

If you haven't try the trouble shooting steps given in this link below :

support.dell.com/.../document

Is the  DVD drive getting detected under Computer(click start,Computer and see if the DVD drive is showing up)?

Which version of Windows is installed on your system? Example Windows 7 or Windows Vista (32 bit or 64 bit)

Let me know if you need further help.

Thank You

1 Message

March 1st, 2013 01:00

hi Guys

DRIVER HL-DT-ST DVD-RW GT32N  VERSON 6.1.7600.16385  I have got problem with my

Cd/Dvd drive...when i put the Cd/Dvd in....try to start booting but after few seconds its stopped...i have checked into the device manager it says as follows

Windows cannot load the device driver for this hardware. The driver may be corrupted or missing. (Code 39)

Could please help me on this matter please

thanking you

jana

1.8K Posts

March 3rd, 2013 23:00

Hi kjana,

Please let me know if you are able to see the optical drives in 'My computer'. If yes, then please let me know what exactly happens when you insert the disc in optical drive. Do you get any error? 

Please check if CD/DVD drive gets detected in 'Device Manager'. You can check that by following the steps below:

You may check the 'Device Manager if CD/DVD drive if there is any yellow exclamation mark on CD/DVD drive. You can follow the steps below:

• Click on “Start” and right click on “Computer”.
  • Click on “Manage”.
  • Click on “Device Manager”.
  • Under “CD/DVD ROM Devices”, you will find the Optical drive listed. 

If there is any yellow exclamation mark on CD/DVD drive in 'Device Manager', you can remove the upper lower filters by running a Microsoft Fix-it for this issue from the link: http://bit.ly/QCZ40B 

Note: Above step is going to alter the registry settings of the computer. Before you proceed, you can either back up the registry settings or can create a restore point. You can get detailed information on creating the restore point from link: http://bit.ly/RrpN1Q

Once you click on the link for Microsoft Fix it --> Click Run Now --> Save the file --> Double click on it --> and follow the prompts.

If the issue still persists, you can follow the steps below:

• Click 'Start', and then click 'All Programs'.
  • Click 'Accessories', and then click 'Run'.
  • Type 'regedit', and then click 'OK'. If you are prompted for an administrator password or for a confirmation, type the password, or click 'Allow'.
  • In the navigation pane, locate and then click the following registry subkey:

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Control\Class\{4D36E965-E325-11CE-BFC1-08002BE10318}

• In the right pane, click UpperFilters.  

Note: You may also see an UpperFilters.bak registry entry. You do not have to remove that entry. Click UpperFilters only. If you do not see the UpperFilters registry entry, you still might have to remove the LowerFilters registry entry. To do this, go to step 8.

• On the 'Edit' menu, click 'Delete'.
  • When you are prompted to confirm the deletion, click 'Yes'.
  • In the right pane, click 'LowerFilters'.
  • On the 'Edit' menu, click 'Delete'.
  • When you are prompted to confirm the deletion, click 'Yes'.
  • Exit Registry Editor.
  • Restart the computer and see if the issue still persists. 

Please share the findings. 

June 4th, 2013 02:00

Hi, I have the same problem too, mine started after my last Windows update. If I put a DVD or CD in the drive the drive light comes on, the drive makes a noise, but not spinning and nothing is playing. If I go to my computer I can see my drive there if I click the drive icon, the drive opens and it says insert a disc. When I insert a disc nothing happens. When I go to windows media player, it says no disc. Can you help?

1.8K Posts

June 4th, 2013 04:00

Hi hellotoday,

Try to boot your computer using any bootable disc. If you are able to boot your computer using that, it is most likely an issue with operating system. You may try a system restore and restore it to the date prior this issue occurred. All the data on computer will be safe but the applications that you have installed after that restore point, you might need to re-install it. 

Open System Restore by clicking the Start button . In the search box, type System Restore --> Click it. If you're prompted for an administrator password or confirmation, type the password or provide confirmation. Follow the prompts to choose a restore point and restore your computer.

In case you are not able to boot using any bootable disc, it might be an issue with CD/DVD drive. You may share the make and model# of the CD/DVD drive from the 'Device Manager':

• Press Windows key + R > Type ‘devmgmt.msc’ > Hit Enter.
  • Under CD/DVD ROM Devices, you will find the Optical drive listed. 

June 4th, 2013 07:00

Hi, my bootable disc is on a memory stick, however I put the dell drivers and utilities disc in the drive shut down and restarted, and went to 'my computer' I can see the drive, I right clicked and it says, NO DISC IN DRIVE if I try to do anything, but if I click the eject, the disc ejects. The actual disc drive is located but nothing is playing. I have tried a re-store but I may not have gone back far enough, but I am not expert and it seems that the drive isn't working rather than any other issue, what do you think? Under the DVD/CD ROM DRIVES, the drivers are for HL-DT-ST-DVD+-RW GT32N. One driver under 'Microsoft corporation' and the other 'Sonic Solutions'.  Thank you

June 6th, 2013 13:00

Hi, No I didn't see any yellow exclamation mark in the Device Manager. I ran Fix it again and this is what it came up with,

Media in CD/DVD drive is not readable (HL-DT-ST DVD+-RW GT32N) Not fixed  

The drive is empty or the media format is not supported

I think my drive is just no longer working.  I think I will just buy a usb optical drive. The computer isn't even 2 years old yet, not really impressed with this Dell computer and also the battery even needs replacing already.

1.8K Posts

June 6th, 2013 13:00

Hi hellotoday,

Did you try system restore to check if the issue persists?

Do you see any yellow exclamation mark on CD/DVD drive In 'Device Manager'? If yes,  you may  remove the upper lower filters by running a Microsoft Fix-it for this issue (CD or DVD drives that can’t read or write media) from the link: http://bit.ly/QCZ40B 

Note: Above step is going to alter the registry settings of the computer. Before you proceed, you can either back up the registry settings or can create a restore point. You can get detailed information on creating the restore point from link: http://bit.ly/RrpN1Q  

For more information on deleting the Upper lower filters, you may refer to link:http://bit.ly/32ERX 

1.8K Posts

June 7th, 2013 12:00

Hi hellotoday,

I understand your sentiments and regret for the inconvenience caused to you. 

Dell Drivers and Utilities disc is a bootable disc. You may try to boot your computer using the same. Insert the disc in optical drive > Tap F12 to boot from CD/DVD and check if it helps.

If you are able to boot from CD/DVD it is an issue with operating system. In case the issue persists, it is an issue with optical drive and need replacement. 

If the system is under warranty, you may private message me the service tag and contact details. In case the system warranty has expired, you may either get in touch with any local technician or Dell Support of your region to get the CD/DVD replaced. 

Hope this helps.

No Events found!