Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

A

May 5th, 2017 06:00

i7759 Massive drop in gaming/FPS on battery?

Is this normal with any "gaming laptop"? I have read varying opinions on this. Basically, when gaming, FPS is good, 40-60fps when plugged into AC adapter. As soon as AC adapter is removed and the computer goes to battery power, FPS will drop in half if not more. Plug AC adapter back in, FPS return to normal. 

I have set the power profile to "high performance", changed the Nvidia control panel/power management settings to "maximum performance"

I have also turned off "battery boost" within Nvidia Geforce Experience application.

Really just making sure this is a normal condition. I see others with the same issue but no good explanation for the cause. Only thing I can come up with is built fail-safe to protect the battery from too high of a current draw and to protect the video card from voltage fluctuations? The battery is just not capable of the same current draw as the AC adapter is?

Any info helpful!

1 Rookie

• 

87.5K Posts

May 5th, 2017 06:00

It's completely normal - you cannot game at any level without being plugged in.  The battery cannot supply the CPU and GPU running at full speed for any length of time.

May 5th, 2017 07:00

Thanks for the reply. That is what I thought. I confirmed this using a monitoring program. Plugged in, the GPU runs at full clock on the core and memory. When unplugged it drops the clocks significantly but will sporadically "bump" them up which would account for the wild FPS displayed while playing a game.

Makes sense. The full power draw on a i5 and 960m is nearly 110 watts, not to mention all the other hardware that requires current. The amp draw for just these two devices would damage the battery.

No Events found!