Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

May 18th, 2009 09:00

inspiron 1520 - battery issue

Hi, I have a Inspiron 1520 and recently when I start my computer up I have been getting a message that says "The AC power adapter type cannot be determined. Your system will operate slower and the battery will not charge. Please connect a Dell 90W AC adapter or higher for best system operation" (needless to say that the power adapter IS a Dell 90W...)." My battery won't charge and is stuck on 80%, I have tried to unplug and replug the adapter and the battery several times, but the message still pops up. On top of that because my adapter won't work, my computer is running extremely slow once in a while. Help would be greatly appreciated. Thank you!

171 Posts

May 18th, 2009 10:00

There is known issue with a chip that is inside the a/c adapter. The chip sends a signal to the laptop to identify what type of charge is being used. These chips often go bad, then you get the error message you are experiencing.

First off, try a known good a/c adapter. Hopefully you know someone with a similar dell laptop and you can borrow there adapter.

Second, try booting the laptop with the a/c adapter unplugged. As soon as you see the windows logo, plug the adapter in.

No Events found!