Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

February 25th, 2012 06:00

inspiron 1525 battery indicator fashing orange

I am using Dell inspiron 1525 my battery indicator suddenly falshes orange & blue rapidly,What does it mean?  Is Battery life gets completed?

4 Operator

• 

3.5K Posts

March 1st, 2012 18:00

Chopraataruun

If the computer is connected to an electrical outlet, the charge indicator (icon of battery with lightning bolt) light operates as follows:

• Solid blue — The battery is charging.

• Flashing blue — The battery is almost fully charged.

• Off — The battery is adequately charged or external power is not available to charge the battery.

If the computer is running on a battery, the charge indicator light operates as follows:

• Off — The battery is adequately charged, or the computer is turned off.

• Flashing orange — The battery charge is low.

• Solid orange — The battery charge is critically low.

When the LED flashes blue, it is nearly charged, if it is flashing orange the battery charge is low.  If the LED is flashing blue and orange at the same time there could be a problem.  I would check in a darkened room to make sure that is what is really happening.   If your battery is holding a charge, will power your notebook without the AC adapter I wouldn’t worry terribly about it.

TB

1 Message

May 2nd, 2012 06:00

I have a similar issue.

I have a Dell Inspiron 1525.  It does not charge the battery.  When in Windows, the battery gadget says, "plugged in, not charging".

The battery light blinks 4 times orange and one time blue.

Bios does not recognize that a battery is plugged in.

Any ideas as to what could be the issue?

Computer only works when plugged in to power.

Thanks!

1 Message

June 4th, 2012 06:00

I have the same problem as Joey.  Flashes orange four times then blue (Repeating)  Battery does not charge.

Do I need to buy a new battery or update the bios?

Thanks

FiSn

June 18th, 2012 18:00

It seems to be the eternal question....something is wrong with either Dell or Microsoft...the issue remains for many.

4 Operator

• 

3.5K Posts

June 19th, 2012 08:00

JoeyGrissom and FiSn

If you both have Insprion 1525 my first guest because of the LEDs would be a defective battery.  Batteries can fail in a little time of as a year so if you haven't tried a replacement battery that will be my first suggestion.  

Power issues like this can be broken down between battery, ac adapter and power / system board.   A quick test to see if the power supply is failing will be to go into the BIOS and look for AC adapter warning settings and make sure that they are turned on.  Boot up and if the system gives an error regarding the AC adapter  then you know it is the AC adapter.  

If possible if you have known good battery and AC adapter for the 1525 test and see where the problem follows,  if all of a sudden you plug in a new battery and it starts charging you know your original battery has failed, the same with a new AC adapter, you plug it in and all of a sudden the battery charges you know it is the AC adapter.  If neither a known good AC adapter or battery makes a difference, the battery still isn't being charged, then that implies it is a problem with the charging / system board.

TB

June 19th, 2012 09:00

Isn't this a bit of a problem though, expecting the consumer to pay out for a battery, then a charger, then a replacement. part, then giving up and paying Dell.

As I have stated my battery started working but then stopped after an update and restart.

There is clearly a long-standing fault with your hardware.

1 Message

June 28th, 2012 17:00

My M1730 just started the Blue/Orange blinking today. It seems this signal has been around for at least the last 5 years and still no definitive answer. Just start replacing parts until it work right again... That's excellent support Dell!

August 15th, 2012 10:00

If you can get a hold of a replacement battery or charger I'd try that.

I bought a cheap battery and while it only last 20mins I now know the charger and insides are okay, for now....

1 Message

January 15th, 2013 05:00

It seems like this problem is still recurring. I found the same happening with my laptop. Check and found that the Battery was not seated properly. If the battery is loose or the connections are not good, it gives the same orange blue flashing. I guess if the laptop is not getting the adequate voltage/amp from the battery, the lights flash in that sequence 3/4 Orange and 1 blue.

1 Message

March 4th, 2014 12:00

Since Dell doesn't know what is going on, I did a search for my own problelms with this.  Apparently it can be a bad/dying CMOS battery.  You'd think Dell would have documentation on the flashing codes...

Here's the thread where I got this info.  

http://hardforum.com/showthread.php?t=1646354

615 Posts

March 4th, 2014 14:00

Hi Members, Dell-Terry,

Before I get to the meat of how to troubleshoot this problem I'll open up with some informatiion to doesitmatterwhatthissays so this group will better understand realistic performance expectations of your Inspiron 1525 (and other model) laptop batteries.

Lithium-Ion batteries are VERY VERY predictable. So much so that they are rated based on specific parameters like capacity, number and depth of discharge cycles, recharge time/electric current rate, discharge amperage and voltage load, thermal exposure (specifically how operating and storage temperature afffect cell decay)  Presently in the mainstream L-ion market Samsung manufactures the highest grade cells available for domestic / business consumer use. These are sold to device manufacturers for use in hi-tech / hi-drain devices.That being said it may come as a shock to learn that those cells are only rated for 300 FULL charge and discharge cycles at 110F!! Anything beyond that is gravy. Typically a laptop battery is never fully discharged...why? The control hardware prevents bottoming out by prohibiting operation beyond a defined capacity. Likewise the charger doesn't ever fully charge a battery because topping out a L-ion cell accelerates decay. The 100% Charge and Dead battery limits are imposed to ensure long battery health. Storing a fully charged or stone dead cell also accelerates decay, as does exposure to excessive heat. That said, it is commonly accepted that the lifecycle of a L-ion battery assembly in regular use is approx. 3 years.

Since the Inspiron 1525 is at least a 6 year old machine I think it's safe to say you've been fortunate to have the battery pack last that long. Even on later model laptops than the 1525 anything beyond that average 3 year lifecycle is a good thing.

Just for the sake of ruling out a charger problem.

• Enter the BIOS by tapping F2 during startup and adjust Charger Behavior messages to SHOW WARNINGS and restart. If you get a a warning that says the computer does not recognize the charger proceed to next step.
  • Unplug charger from wall
  • unplug charger from laptop
  • remove battery
  • press and hold the power button for AT LEAST 30 seconds using "one one thousand" rhythm. A little too long is okay a little too short is not.
  • plug charger into wall
  • plug charger into laptop
  • start machine without battery installed ...watch for charger error message. If no message charger is okay. If charger error is reported, replace charger
  • If no message (charger is okay) Turn off laptop and insert battery
  • if same flashing battery lamp as previous, time for a new battery.

If this information was helpful please remember to hit the YES button and if you need further assistance don't hesitate to contact.

**This procedure is for all Dell laptops *** back to at least 2008.

5 Posts

April 14th, 2014 08:00

The power daughter board is bad. its a $5 fix on amazon. I tried many power cords and a new battery and it doesn't fix it. Read on another site that it is the board inside that you plug the power cord into. 

50 Posts

April 19th, 2014 22:00

Hi P, could you post a link that shows this. I would like to read it.

Thanks Gary

615 Posts

April 19th, 2014 23:00

Hi Gary,

No Problem HERE"S THE LINK TO THE ORIGINAL POST.

I checked and this time there are no page numbers down here at the bottom but sometimes when thread gets long it's broken down into pages. ....in case ya might have overlooked it...once upon a time I did! hehe.

If this information was helpful please remember to hit the YES button and if you need further assistance don't hesitate to contact

5 Posts

April 20th, 2014 03:00

Go on there and you will see more about the power issue and fix

No Events found!