Start a Conversation

This post is more than 5 years old

Solved!

Go to Solution

October 5th, 2016 13:00

inspiron 5520 with i7 3632QM - Turbo Boost not working

Hello, I have Inspiron 5520 which originally has i3 2370m. I have upgraded the CPU to i7 3632QM and it works perfectly but I found out that Turbo Boost is not activating during the work. Here is the diagnosis from HWinfo:

As you can see, it shows that Turbo Boost is not activated. And from my tests I can definetely tell that the maxumum speed of the CPU is nominal - 2,2GHz without any further rising according to the Turbo specs.

Also I tried to install the Intel utility to monitor Turbo Boost but it gave an error saying that it can't find CPU with Turbo Boost support. But the 3632QM is supporting it ofcourse.

BIOS settings do not have any Turbo Boost options so It can't be activated/deactivated from there. The BIOS version is latest avaliable A14.

Why Turbo can't be activated on this laptop? And I saw that many other people with different machines can't do it as well. That is so pity and unfair. :( How I can enable it? Looking for your help please.

5 Practitioner

• 

274.2K Posts

October 7th, 2016 03:00

Problem is solved, I have loaded a BIOS [safe] default settings. Turbo Boost is now operating normally. Looks like it was necessary for the motherboard/BIOS recalibrating after the CPU replacement.

1 Rookie

• 

87.5K Posts

October 5th, 2016 16:00

What is the power adapter wattage rating?  If you're using the adapter from the i3, it's probably a 65W adapter.  You need 130W or better to run the i7 at its full speed.

5 Practitioner

• 

274.2K Posts

October 5th, 2016 17:00

The power adapter is 90W. It is more than enough for this i7 CPU. First of all, it is the same TDP 35W as an original i3 or i5 in some models. Second, I saw the same power adapter being used with this notebook's modifications whic were selling with i7 preibstalled. 130W is way too an overkill really. I have no powering issures that's for sure.

The maximum usage is 27W with internal GPU video so it is not even reaching it's maximum TDP. With i3 before it ws even more, 29W max usage on the CPU.

I'm afraid that tt is something with BIOS settings that were locked for some reason.

No Events found!