Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

January 21st, 2014 05:00

inspiron touchpad with windows 8

quite a long while ago i installed windows 8 on my Dell inspiron N5010 and the touchpad stopped working propperly.

back then tech support told me that there is no driver for windows 8 yet.

had anything changed since then? and do i have anyyy way to make the touchpad work properly again even thought i have windows 8?

26 Posts

January 21st, 2014 06:00

Stopped working properly?
In what sense? Please be a bit more clear about your problem, as I think a driver for touch-pad isn't necessary in windows 8, It comes pre-loaded with such basic functionality.
I am myself using windows 8 on a laptop that does not yet have any drivers for the operating system, Yet everything is working fine except my Bluetooth.
What I did was i installed windows 7 drivers according to my system architecture and everything is working fine by now.

10 Posts

January 21st, 2014 06:00

well, when you try to move the mouse pointer using the touchpad the movement is choppy.

it moves a little and then get stuck and you need to lift you finger from the touchpad and then put it back down.

in addition the scrolling feature that used to work when you move your finger on the side of the touchpad isn't working at all.

and i can't configure the touchpad through the control panel...trying to change the cursor speed or anything else has absolutely no effect.

windows 7 drivers doesn't fix it...

any ideas? 

26 Posts

January 21st, 2014 08:00

Oh!
That flickering problem is more hardware oriented than being a problem in software, I once had that problem with my dell vostro 2520 and as it was under warranty cover i got the touch-pad replaced and after that i got no problems and that was on windows 7.

But still i would recommend you to download the drivers from http://www.synaptics.com/resources/drivers and try your luck by installing them and make sure to run the installer in Compatibility mode.

And when nothing works go for a clean windows installation or downgrade to windows 7.

and also revert back with your laptop's specs and since when you have been facing this problem.

10 Posts

January 21st, 2014 08:00

yes back at the time when i first installed windows 8 i searches the web for days until i realized that there are only two brands of touchpad that might be mine synaptics and alps (or something like that).

so i tried downloading every driver possible from them and nothing helped until one driver of alps made the pointer move again without being choppy.

but still i can't change it's speed or configuration and scrolling still doesn't work...

26 Posts

February 11th, 2014 23:00

Okay, I finally found a workaround solution to my problem
I just updated my windows to 8.1 and was searching for some synaptics driver to get get my gestures to work and i installed some drivers from a website and it worked!
all the gestures, the scrolling are working perfectly fine you can try and download that from here 

http://drivers.synaptics.com/Synaptics_v15_2_20_C_XP64_Vista64_Win7-64_Signed_Marketing_SGS94_UI-Scrybe.exe

10 Posts

February 12th, 2014 00:00

i was hoping so bad that it will be the end of the touchpad problems.....

but when i tried installing it said it can't run on my computer (not even in compatabilty mode)

26 Posts

February 13th, 2014 06:00

And also ensure that the drivers you are installing are of your system architecture and also make sure which touchpad do you have

Synaptic(Thats what i think)

or any other

and also what error occurs while installing the driver i posted above .

26 Posts

February 13th, 2014 06:00

Wow man you problem seems very confusing,
okay well as i assume that you have downloaded every driver available and you cannot even toggle speed and other settings of the pointer from the control panel I guess you might have a broken hardware or a broken windows installation(because pointer speed and other things are not driver related), There are few last things you can try before thinking for a new touchpad
1. Go to device manager and roll back your touchpad driver
2. uninstall the touchpad drivers from device manager itself

and if nothing above works

try installing new windows on a separate partition and check for the touchpad's condition (you can delete it anyhow later)

and if it works  you can reinstall your windows

and if nothing works, go and buy a new touchpad or a mouse.

No Events found!