Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

July 8th, 2013 11:00

laptop problems

recently when ive been turning on my dell inspiron 14r it makes 13 clicking noises and then goes away, and my laptop doesnt finish loading. ive left it on for several minutes at a time, but still no use. the only way i can get my laptop to load up completely is to keep turning it on and off with the power button and hope that i get lucky with it coming all the way on. ive gotten a new battery, but i jus wanted to know if there was anything else i could do or anything i would need to buy to get my laptop working effectively again

1.5K Posts

July 8th, 2013 12:00

Hi jkttrsctt,

I would suggest you to run hardware diagnostics on the system for hardware functionality, by following the steps below:

• Reboot and tap to enter the Boot Menu
  • When the boot device list appears, highlight ‘Diagnostics’ and press
  • The computer begins to run the Pre-boot System Assessment, a series of embedded diagnostics that perform initial testing on your system board, keyboard, hard drive, and display
  • In case any hardware component is bad, you will get a corresponding error.

Please try to determine from which side of the system you are hear the clicking noise. Please let me know what exactly comes up on the screen while it tries to boot.

If the system is able to boot, you may update the system BIOS. Please refer to the link: http://dell.to/1aTatnV.

Keep me posted with the information. I will be glad to assist further.

3 Posts

July 9th, 2013 12:00

i am hearing the clicking noise from the left side of my laptop. the Dell and inspiron logo pop up when i turn on my laptop but the bar never finishes loading all the way. i cant even go to Boot options to see what the problem is, so i dont know what to do now

1.5K Posts

July 9th, 2013 18:00

Hi jkttrsctt,

There are 3 components on the system that can make clicking noise; hard drive, optical drive and the system fan. As the noise is coming from left side, it seems the issue is with the hard drive. To confirm this try running diagnostics by either pressing + Power button while system is off or by removing the battery and the ac adapter, press the power button and plug in the ac adapter.

Keep me posted with the results. I will be glad to assist further.

3 Posts

July 9th, 2013 19:00

It seems to be with the hard drive. Should i go ahead and order a new one?

1.5K Posts

July 10th, 2013 17:00

Hi jkttrsctt,

It seems the issue is with the hard drive. However, to ensure the noise is coming from the hard drive and not any other component, you may remove the HDD and turn on the system to check if the noise is still coming. For Owner’s Manual, please refer to the link: http://bit.ly/WBAAFp.

You may replace the hard drive if the clicking noise stops after removing it. 

If you are residing in the US, you can contact dell spares at 1-800-372-3355 or you may get it from a local store. 

Hope this helps. Please feel free to reply for any further assistance.

No Events found!