Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

October 3rd, 2013 12:00

laptop "internal hard disk drive not found"

I will describe what I have done to date in detail, to minimise the usual to-and-fro questioning:

My daughter has an Inspiron 1545, with a corrupt hard drive (WD Scorpio Blue 250GB). It would not boot into Windows (W7 HP), subsequent boots reported missing OS. I have found this is usually a loose or damaged drive or/with corrupt windows files.

Naturally, there are no CD's to help with the recovery...

Removed it and tested it - multiple bad sectors,etc, etc. Not worth spending time on.

So, I replaced it with a new WD Blue 500GB (this laptop will take up to 640GB, I believe)  - this is a mm or so slimmer in height than old drive. I formatted & partitioned it (NTFS, C & D) via another computer.

First attempts to fit into laptop reported  "internal hard disk drive not found" -perhaps it wasn't seated, as I didn't feel it "click". After much fiddling, I managed to seat it without the mounting tray & bezel.

This time it recognises the drive - phew! The BIOS (ver A14) also shows a 500GB drive in place.

So I install W7 Pro without a problem (making certain the laptop isn't moved, as the hard drive isn't secured!)

I downloaded all relevant drivers for the laptop onto a memory stick, and as a first move, updated the BIOS, and rebooted.

Oh-oh.  "internal hard disk drive not found"

Removed drive, installed into a.n.other laptop - boots fine into Windows.

Re-inserted drive (still without mounting tray, etc) and booted using a Linux LiveDrive CD. This has no problem reading the drive and its contents.

I have tried re-seating it a few times, have trawled the forums for ideas (see above actions), but now I am stumped.

Any suggestions?

Community Manager

• 

3.3K Posts

October 6th, 2013 01:00

Hi cp4orum,

This system is shipped with serial-ATA hard drives. The Inspiron 1545 is offered with a configuration of 5400 rpm drives. The hard drive capacities are as follows:

• 80 GB 5400 RPM
  • 160 GB 5400 RPM
  • 250 GB 5400 rpm
  • 320GB 5400 rpm
  • 500GB 5400 rpm

I suspect the HDD you have replaced is not compatible with the system. Please provide the HDD model you have replaced. I will l let you know if it is compatible with your computer.

2 Posts

October 6th, 2013 12:00

Hi,

Thank you for your reply.

The replacement HDD is a WD Blue 500GB (WD5000LPVT), dated May 2013.

Specification: http://www.wdc.com/en/products/products.aspx?id=800

Community Manager

• 

3.3K Posts

October 7th, 2013 08:00

Hi cp4orum,

I recommend you to reseat the HDD and check.

Since this new HDD is working fine on the other known good system, I suspect the connector on the motherboard is an issue, Try with another HDD. If the issue persists even with anotherHDD, you may consider replacing the motherboard

No Events found!