Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

M

May 31st, 2009 05:00

laptop screen goes black & doesn't load up after login.

Hi i hope someone can help me, I have a dell inspiron1501, when i switch it on it starts to load up as normal & gets to the login screen, i put my password in the screen goes off as normal like its going to load up but then the screen goes black & nothing happens, all you can see is the mouse pointer???? I dont know whats happened or how to solve the problem. can anyone help???

9 Legend

• 

87.5K Posts

Run the Dell diagnostics, including the extended hard drive test - F12 at powerup, choose Diagnostics from the menu.

If the hard drive fails, replace it.  If it passes, can you get in through Safe Mode (F8 before Windows loads)?

2 Posts

Hi thanks for your reply, i ran the test yesterday & it passed, ive just tried to get in through the safe mode the only difference was that i saw the mccafee logo flash up on the screen, but then nothing else?? it stayed black

9 Legend

• 

87.5K Posts

May 31st, 2009 07:00

If the system stays powered up through the diagnostics, it sounds like a Windows problem.  If you cannot get into Windows, you will have to reload. If you have data you haven't backed up, remove the drive, mount it in a 2.5" SATA USB 2.0 drive case and attach to a working system.  Back up your data, return the drive to the system, power on, press CTRL-F11 (XP) or F8 (Vista) and do a full system reload.

No Events found!