Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

November 29th, 2009 05:00

laptop will not turn on

I had XPS M1210 laptop on and I step away for a second and when I came back my laptop was off. I assumed that either the battery died or the adapter got lose from the wall jack. But when I checked that the adapter was still connected I tried to turn on my laptop again, the charging light was still glowing but when I had tried to turn it on the light would go off and so would the little green light that is on my adapter. The laptop itself wouldn't turn on but it would make like a sound like it was turning off once I hit the power button. I had unplugged my adapter from both the wall jack and my laptop and replugged it just to get the charging icon and light on the adapter to glow again. I am praying that it isn't the motherboard, does any have any ideas on what else may be causing this?

9 Legend

• 

87.5K Posts

November 29th, 2009 07:00

You might want to try a new Dell adapter, but it's almost certainly a faulty system board.

539 Posts

November 29th, 2009 10:00

If under warranty rush to DELL

remove the battery and try to run it on AC adapter only.

If it's the same problem - remove all RAM memory and see if POST produces the error code "no memory" through the keyboard lights.

If there's no sign of life from POST, the mother board doesn't start - hence it's completely dead.

If POST is alive, reseat (half if possible) of the RAM memory and try again.

If nothing try the other half in a different memory slot if possible, (Underneath keyboard or at the back hatch)

Do the same for PCI card (WIFI), CPU and GPU

No Events found!