Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

AL

January 25th, 2010 21:00

larger hard drive for drive bay caddy

I would like to buy a larger hard drive for my drive bay caddy. My current hard drive is a 250GB - WD2500BEVE. I believe it is a PATA or ide ATA interface.  My computer is a Precision M65.

What is the largest hard drive available? What is the best way to transfer data and install?

9 Legend

• 

87.5K Posts

January 26th, 2010 03:00

I think you'll find the largest PATA drive is 320G - everything larger is SATA. 

You can clone the existing drive using something like Acronis TrueImage or Symantec Ghost (you will need a way to connect one of the drives externally to do the job).

4.6K Posts

January 26th, 2010 10:00

As EJN suggests... you'll need to hook up the original drive externally

An IDE enclosure is one way, but you can also buy multi-adapters which allow you to connect various types of device via USB - i.e. IDE +/or SATA 2.5 and 3.5" hard drives, and 5.25"/optical drives, for about the same price as an external enclosure.

The adapters are available for about £10 here in the UK (on Ebay), and if I've piqued your interest, just Google (i.e.) 'USB 2.0 - IDE/SATA Adapter' :emotion-5:

Whatever option you choose, once the old hard drive is hooked up, you can use a commercial program such as Acronis True Image to backup/image everything on it.

But there are plenty of free hard drive backup/imaging programs out there - including:

Paragon Backup & Recovery 10 Free Edition
O&O DiskImage 4 Express
HDClone
Macrium Reflect (no longer free - apparently?)
Clone MaXX
Self Image
DriveImage XML

There are many imaging and backup programs mentioned/linked to on this The Free Country page too.

No Events found!