Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

Closed

2 Posts

August 30th, 2007 22:00

m70 and pr01x

I recently acquired a Dell PR01X port replicator.  When I plug in my Dell M70 laptop running XP, the USB ports on the port replicator don't work.  Also, a USB Device shows up on "Other Devices" of Device Manager, but it is unknown.  I've tried everything I can think of to try to find a driver for this thing, but from what I have read, there is no driver for the PR01X.  I have reinstalled every other driver Dell puts out for this laptop (Chipsets, Notebook System Software, Video, Audio, Touchpad, etc.)  I've deleted the hardware profile for the "docked" profile.  I've even swapped out the PR01X with another one to make sure it wasn't a hardware issues. 

I worked with a Dell support rep.  They suggested trying a different hard drive or reinstalling windows.  I really don't want to reinstall Windows. 

One thing that was intersting - I figured out that the standard install of the Intel Chipset drivers wasn't actually updating the drivers on my machine.  The drivers were Microsoft drivers.  I had to go to each Intel device and update the driver, pointing it to the location of the INFs for the Intel driver.  By doing this, each Intel device changed from using the Microsoft drivers to using the Intel drivers.  I thought may I had finally found the solution, but still the same result.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.  I've been pulling my hair out for two days on this one.

2 Posts

April 27th, 2008 06:00

After much fussing, I reinstalled XP and everything works fine.... go figure. 

1.9K Posts

April 27th, 2008 07:00

You might run into this problem again sometime. So just in case.....

I had a Latitude D600 (WinXP Pro SP2)that would "lose" the USB mouse connected to the D-dock/port replicator on occasion. It seemed to revolve around docks/undocks on my part, and probably incorrectly on my part.

I had to go through a series of steps of dis/re-connecting the mouse both to the notebook un-docked and/or reboots with the mouse then connected to the D-port and the problem was eventually resolved.

Apologies for lack of more detail, but I haven't had the system or dock in over a year.  It was frustrating, but it turned out to be a simple fix- and from what I recall, a problem I thought I'd brought on myself by improperly docking/undocking the notebook (in a hurry). 

No Events found!