Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

April 16th, 2014 06:00

mSATA in pcie bay for wwan

Hello,

i have an crucial m500 msata ssd and dell xt2. I wondering is it possible to use pci for msata ssd, just putting it on, won't work, i try to install windows but installation don't see the drive. I have a similar problem in PC with ocz and i downloaded some driver for that type of ssd and loaded from windows installation. 

On Crucial site i don't find drivers for ssd.

Can you help me with some advices?

1 Rookie

• 

87.5K Posts

April 16th, 2014 06:00

mSATA drives require a specific type of PCIe socket specifically wired for mSATA - which the XT2 does not have.

So - no, you cannot use an mSATA drive in this system.

4 Posts

April 16th, 2014 07:00

Some of Dell product, from that years, fit ssd msata into wwan slot, so it's not a matter of wiring but i may be lack of sata controller on pci line.

1 Rookie

• 

87.5K Posts

April 16th, 2014 07:00

That amounts to the same thing - if the PCIe slot isn't connected to a SATA controller (which it is not on this model), mSATA won't work (which it won't on the XT;  if you search the forums, you'll see others have tried and failed).

The only way to install an SSD in this model is in place of the hard drive - and that will need to be a 1.8" format drive (the system won't fit a 2.5" drive).

2 Posts

August 20th, 2014 23:00

Hi ejn63,

I know this is kind of random, but you seem pretty knowledgeable, so I would really appreciate if you could answer a question about my XT2 for me.  I am looking to replace the stock Hard drive with a new one or a SSD.  I took it out to see which kind it is.  I understand that it is a 1.8" SATA.  I understand that any replacement I will need will also need to be 1.8", but in terms of SATA, does it matter if it is SATA, SATA II, or SATA III?  Or will any 1.8" SATA laptop drive work?  Thanks so much for your help in advance.

, Sean

1 Rookie

• 

87.5K Posts

August 21st, 2014 04:00

Any standard 1.8" SATA HDD or SSD will work -- among hard drives I think Toshiba is the only one left making 1.8" hard drives. 

2 Posts

August 21st, 2014 14:00

OK, Thanks so much.  You are the man (or woman)!

, Sean

No Events found!