Start a Conversation

This post is more than 5 years old

Solved!

Go to Solution

January 26th, 2012 09:00

missing operating system

when I turn on my dell laptop i get the "missing operating system" message i bought the computer at a pawn shop so I don't have a back up cd or anything how can I fix this HELP!!

9 Legend

• 

30.3K Posts

October 13th, 2016 04:00

Heather,

THIS ARTICLE tell you how to run the Offline Diagnostics. It states...

Offline diagnostics

Dell devices come with pre-boot diagnostics to diagnose hardware issues and capture error codes. This set of diagnostics runs before Microsoft Windows starts, so you can diagnose hardware issues without a working operating system. The initial scan lasts a few minutes and checks the system memory(RAM), hard disk drive, processor and several other hardware components for errors.

Refer to the Dell knowledge-base article Resolve hardware issues using ePSA or PSA diagnostics and guide to error codes for more information.

Dell Pre-boot System Assessment or enhanced Pre-boot System Assessment (PSA or ePSA)

To initialize the Dell PSA or ePSA diagnostics:

1. Restart your computer.
  2. When the Dell logo appears, press F12 key on the keyboard several times to open the One-time Boot menu.
  3. Use the down arrow key on the keyboard to select Diagnostics and press the Enter key.
  4. Follow the on-screen prompts and answer them appropriately to complete the assessment.
  5. Write down any error codes listed
  6. Use the Dell Interactive Support Agent(English only) to get information about ePSA or PSA diagnostic error codes.

Support Video - Diagnose Hardware Issues on your Dell Notebook or Desktop Computer

Rick

9 Legend

• 

30.3K Posts

January 26th, 2012 10:00

latinbabe10,

Your hard drive has failed. If the pawn shop did not provide disks or you did not get the Dell - Ownership Transfers you'll need to purchase a Hard drive and you'll also need to purchase an operating system.

Rick

• 

17K Posts

January 26th, 2012 10:00

latinbabe10

Thank you for using the Dell Community Forum.

The user that had the system before more than likely deleted the Operating System prior to taking to the pawn shop to protect his/her privacy.

Your system does not have an OS installed. You will either need go back to the pawn shop and ask for the disk that are supposed to be with the computer;including the Operating System disk, or purchase another copy of Windows to install on the computer. You can download drivers for your system from http://support.dell.com when needed.

24 Posts

January 27th, 2012 03:00

Just a dumb question did it use to work or this this occur straight after buying?

4 Operator

• 

11.1K Posts

January 27th, 2012 06:00

Just a dumb question did it use to work or this this occur straight after buying?

That *is* a very good question.

Did the OP buy the laptop without even turning it on to see this error message????

9 Legend

• 

30.3K Posts

April 16th, 2012 19:00

latinbabe10,

Run the full diagnostics. The error codes will tell what is wrong.How to Run the Dell™ Diagnostics Utility

Rick

April 16th, 2012 19:00

no it was working fine when bought but my charger broke than i bought a new one trying to install the new charger because it told me to . Im not sure what i did to it and then it started saying "missing operating system"

4 Posts

October 10th, 2016 15:00

I'm having this issue too. However, I cannot get past the "Missing operating system" message. I've tried a number of ways to get around it and nothing works. So I'm unable to get to BIOS or other system setup options. Nor will it automatically reinstall operating system from the installer disk.

9 Legend

• 

30.3K Posts

October 11th, 2016 11:00

hljb,

Restart the computer and tap F12 at startup, then run the full diagnostics. Report back and error messages.

Sounds like you hard drive may have failed and needs replaced.

Rick

4 Posts

October 12th, 2016 15:00

RockSt☆r-Rick K.

Restarting with F12 didn't work. I did have some success with F2, F12, and Delete. However I didn't see a means to repair or recover in the screen that appeared. I tried again and was asked if I wanted to F5 to run diagnostics. Diagnostics said no fails. But still can't get it to boot from the OS installer disk.

Heather (aka HLJB)

4 Posts

October 14th, 2016 09:00

Thanks so much! I finally got the OS back up and running.

No Events found!