Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

September 4th, 2012 04:00

n5010 freezes at "Preparing your computer... " after restoring to factory setting

After I restored this laptop to the factory settings using the Dell Datasafe, the laptop will not fully boot. The "Starting Windows" will appear then the screen will display "Preparing your computer for the first use.", and after 10-15 seconds, the computer hangs. There is no drive activity light, the animation at the bottom of the screen stops and nothing else happens. The version of Windows is Home Ultimate.

Before restoring, this laptop would BSOD regardless of the boot option. After restoring, as stated above, it will not complete the boot process. I've used F8 and selected the "repair my computer" option, starting with startup repair. The results are the same in that no errors could be found. I even used a Win 7 DVD and ran the repair option. Again, no errors are found.

Does anyone have any suggestions. This laptop belongs to a daughter of a friend and I'm trying to help them out.

Thank you in advance!

677 Posts

September 4th, 2012 05:00

Hi Raney3,

I appreciate your effort in trying to fix the issue. Since the system was giving BSOD errors earlier, I request you to run hardware diagnostics on the system to ensure that there are no hardware defects. To start the diagnostics please Hold the "Fn" key down and start the system. Please wait until all the tests are complete and make a note of any error messages.

I hope you had removed all the external peripherals (ex: USB stick, LAN cable, Printer etc.) and then initiated the Factory restore.  This is important as the external devices may conflict with the restore process.

Please reply in case of any queries

Thanks and regards
Harish R
#iworkfordell

3 Posts

September 5th, 2012 13:00

Hi Harish,

Thank you for the reply. I did as you requested, that is, I ran the hardware diagnostics and no errors were reported. I had no external devices connected when I initiated the factory restore.

Do you have any other suggestions?

Thank you

677 Posts

September 6th, 2012 08:00

Hi Raney3,

I request you to run an extended test on the Hard drive to check if it functioning fine. Please find the steps below which help you to run custom test.

1. Shutdown the system, hold "Fn" key and start the system. It will initiate the diagnostics again.
2. Once all the tests pass, it shows a message saying would you like to continue with the test. Select No.
3. You will see press any key to continue to Utility partition. Press any key on the keyboard.
4. Then select test system, custom test, hard drive and click on run test.

If the Result passes, we can go a manual Operating software reinstallation.

Please reply back in case of any queries.

Thanks and regards
Harish R
#iworkfordell

3 Posts

September 6th, 2012 11:00

Harish,

Thank you very much for taking time and assisting me with this problem. I did as you requested and when this section of the diagnostics completed, I selected "No" and the dialog box appeared saying "Booting Diagnostic Utility Partition. Press any key to continue."

After pressing the space bar, the dialog box went away. However, at this section of the diagnostics, the system freezes. Pressing any key doesn't help and pressing the ESC key doesn't help either. The only way to exit the diagnostics is to press and hold the power button.

Thank you again.

677 Posts

September 7th, 2012 07:00

Hi raney33,

I appreciate your effort in having the issue fixed. We have tried all possible ways to fix the issue. Request you to private message me your system service tag number. To private message accept my friend request; click on my user name and click start conversation. This will help us to check the details of the system and take it further.

Please let us know in case of queries

Thanks and regards
Harish R
#iworkfordell

3 Posts

September 17th, 2012 05:00

Harish,

Thank you again for all of your assistance in this matter. I received the restore CDs and have restored this laptop to the factory settings and it appears to be working properly.

Thank you again

No Events found!