Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

June 26th, 2016 10:00

n5010 laptop touchpad not working correctly - no 'one finger' scrolling function

I'd be very grateful if someone could suggest a solution to the problem I have with the touchpad on my laptop, the one finger scrolling is not working, I have checked as far as I can using the info provided, as far as I know the driver is up to date, I've looked for 'Dell touchpad' or 'Device settings tab' in control panel and they aren't there, just mouse ( ps/2) properties and these are shown as ok, any ideas please? many thanks,Steven. ps, guruaid tell me it's a hardware problem but I'm not so sure, it used to work fine before Windows 10 was loaded and messed up a whole lot of functions, I was then told it's not compatible with this laptop, so I had to put Windows 7 back on and the problem stemmed from around that time 

2K Posts

June 26th, 2016 14:00

Hi PUFFIN88,

Have you performed a clean install of Windows 7 or have just rolled back the OS from Win10 to Win7? Is the touchpad detected in device manager? Is there any damage on the system? Do the touchpad button register a click?

Update the BIOS - http://dell.to/28WKQHB- restart the system and check if it works fine.  Reinstall the touchpad drivers from the same site and check.

If the touchpad is not detected in device manager- then download the service manual from the support site link above - and reseat the palmrest cables and check if it works.

Restart the system and press f12 key on startup - choose diagnostics. Let it run the diags and if you encounter any errors - make a note of the complete error and report the same to us.

Write me a private conversation with the service tag and your contact details(Name and Email) for case records.

Let us know if you have any other queries.

3 Posts

June 29th, 2016 07:00

Hello Rishi, it's very kind of you to help me with this issue,I'm afraid I don't
really understand some of your advice but have tried some of the things you've
suggested,I also don't know some of the answers to your questions.

For instance,after the local 'expert' had installed Windows 10 and I found
that various things had stopped working and found that it should never have
been installed in the first place I,as far as I remember,found a Windows 7
download and installed it myself, ( I was amazed when it actually worked )
I can't find device manager,the only related mention is of ''mice and other
pointing devices'' which lists HID compliant mouse'-this device is working
properly
and PS/2 compatible mouse-this device is working properly . I don't know of
any system damage but the buttons work fine,it's only the one finger
scrolling that doesn't work.

I can't find any mention of Dell touchpad but I did manage to update the
BIOS, it went from A12 to A15 but I couldn't find a touchpad driver
specifically for the N5010, the problem remains however.

I have no idea what palmrest cables are!

I'm not sure how to start diagnostics,I tried pressing F12 as the computer
started but nothing happened,do I keep it pressed continuously while
switching on?
Sorry not to be more help but I would like to try to sort this
myself,oh,the service tag is ,and my name is Steven Liska, email is
<Admin Note: Removed email as per privacy policy>

I'm in North Wales,UK, and once again am very grateful for your
interest,hoping we can fix this between us ( am off now to google how to
start diagnostics using F12...)

stop press...have managed to run diagnostics,the only fault that was reported,in Express test, was 'Error code OFOO:133D msg.disk-disk media is the wrong type,try another'.

the extended test confused me so much at one point,just past the colour tests,that I pressed esc thinking it would move on to the next test,it didn't however,it stopped the whole test.

2K Posts

June 29th, 2016 20:00

Hi Steven,

Thank you for the update.

Glad you were able to install the BIOS update.

Download the touchpad driver here - http://dell.to/294SeP7 - install the same on the system and restart the machine and check if it works fine.

For the diags - restart the system and keep strike the f12 key multiple times while on the Dell logo and it should take you to the boot menu and you could choose the diagnostics. Or you could turn off the system and press and hold the fn key + power button to turn it on and it should boot to diagnostics directly.

I would need more info about the error reported - what device / component was this error on? 

I am sensing, after you have installed Windows 7, you probably did not install all required drivers. 

Go to control panel -> device manager - you will find device manager in control panel. If not, click on the start button and then type in device manager in search and it will list up device manager. Once the window is open, see if you find anything under other devices / unknown devices - these are the ones whose drivers are missing and need to be installed. If you are unable to isolate the unknown devices(if any), then send me a screenshot - right click on the unknown device (if any) -> click properties -> go to details tab -> change the property to hardware ID and send me that screenshot.

Keep us updated.

3 Posts

June 30th, 2016 03:00

Hello Rishi, I've downloaded the driver,it's called R257288,but there's no difference to the touchpad scrolling,I've also found four unknown devices and no driver's could be found for them.

I'm afraid I don't know how to take a screenshot but did google the subject,I pressed prntscr, then tried to paste,nothing happened,I then tried alt+prntscr,and that didn't work either.

I can tell you though that the first device was called BTHENUM ( etc ) and the others were all mf/deskjet,which must be printer related.

Sorry I can't do more for now,please advise! 

Bye for now,many thanks

Steven

2K Posts

July 2nd, 2016 20:00

Hi Steven,

Apologies for delay in response as I was off work on emergency leave.

Click on my username and click on send private message or choose to send me an email.

To get a screenshot, click on start button and type in search - snipping tool - click on new snip and select and drag the area to capture the screen and click on save and add the attachment when you respond.

After you download the touchpad driver, does the installation complete? Does the application show up in control panel -> programs and features and under mouse devices / in device manager?

I would need the hardware ID's, so I could help with providing the drivers required for the unknown devices. If they are all printer related, then you would need to install the drivers / software for that specific device.

Keep us updated.

79 Posts

July 3rd, 2016 20:00

try downloading a program called driver booster from iobit.com that will download and install drivers for you here is a link to the website.www.iobit.com/.../index.php

No Events found!