Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

Closed

L

1 Message

November 14th, 2007 13:00

notebook

Hi Everyone,
My first time here. I am not very computer saavy and I need some help I think.
I have a Dell Inspirion notebook, unknown model at this time. I have Verizon Fios internet and cable
at home.  My desktop seems to work just fine but my laptop will not pick up internet in my house or
anywhere else for that matter.  I had someone bring over their laptop and they were able to
log on with no problem.  I even bought one of those USB post things to boost the signal and still
nothing.  I have called Dell more than once and gotten India and they have had me do computer
surgery, of which I have no idea how.  Had me take it apart and "blow" on a part to make it work. 
All I want is to have my wireless internet work.  Please help me.  Is there something generic that I could do?

Thanks

26 Posts

November 14th, 2007 18:00

We really need more info about your laptop. What OS (XP, Vista, etc), model etc. Do you know it has wireless? Is it enabled? Go to start, control panel, printers and other hardware, then SYSTEM on the left side pane. Or, if your in classic view when in control panel, just click SYSTEM from the icon listing. OR if you have a My Computer icon on the desktop, right click it and select properties to get to system.

Now form the SYSTEM menu select hardware and device manager. Scroll to network adapters, and click the plus to expand it. What cards does it show? Are any marked with yellow or red icons next to the name? Does it list your wireless card?

Have you ever connected with wireless anywhere at anytime? Can you connect with a network cable? Do you see a wireless connection icon in the lower right corner of the screen? If the icon is not there, go to start, control panel and select setup a wireless network. Follow those instructions.

Message Edited by Axim_X51v on 11-14-2007 12:28 PM
No Events found!