Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

August 26th, 2013 09:00

problem with "my dell downloads" - service tag is already registered or is invalid

Hello to everyone,

I have a inspiron 5520 computer and recently I reinstalled the operating system (windows 8)  and the drivers one by one from the official dell site,
Then I realized that it is possible to recover additional software like "powerdvd" Using "my dell downloads"
When I tried to run "my dell downloads" I received the following message "service tag is already registered or is invalid"
In addition I would like to note that I used the same username that I using at that moment, and as I called to telephone service in Israel, they won't know what to do.
I would be grateful if you can help.

Aharon.

4 Operator

• 

20.1K Posts

Did you use the Israel download page by changing the country in the dropdown box? Also you must use Internet Explorer, not another browser, and be in the country where the computer was purchased. Windows 8 must be the operating system the computer came with. Power DVD is an old program that will not work on win 8. New computers with win8 use Media Suite Essentials by Cyberlink

Read the US FAQ's for all requirements: https://smartsource.dell.com/Web/UserForms/Faq.aspx?Opened=True 

You should have used Reset to Factory Settings if it was possible. That would include all the programs that came preinstalled.

4 Operator

• 

3.3K Posts

Hi Aharon,

Ensure you follow the steps below to register the computer:

• Login into Dell My Account from the system you want to register.
  • Agree to the End User License Agreement.
  • Click Register System
  • You may see a notice in the Internet Explorer tool bar indicating that you need to install Active X Controls. Please click the information bar on the web browser to allow Active X to install.

Refer the following link for more information and FAQ’s:

http://dell.to/11RGYwi

Awaiting your response!

August 27th, 2013 10:00

Hi Rajesh,

I followed the steps you suggested and when I pressed the button "register system" I got the same message "service tag is already registered or is invalid"

Thanks for the quick response, and I would be grateful if you can help.

Aharon.

August 27th, 2013 10:00

Hi Mary,

I try to Reset to Factory Settings by pressing the button on the drivers page (At the bottom of the page) in Dell website and it takes me to the page "my dell downloads" ,and over again I get the message "service tag is already registered or is invalid",

In addition I also tried the other suggestions and it stayed the same ("service tag is already registered or is invalid"),

Thanks for the quick response, and I would be grateful if you can help.

Aharon.

4 Posts

August 28th, 2013 03:00

I am having exactly the same problem.  Dell technical support in the Netherlands said that there was nothing I could do about it.  Useless!  :emotion-43:

Does anyone have a solution for this?

4 Operator

• 

3.3K Posts

September 3rd, 2013 18:00

Hi Aharon,

This link for My dell downloads would only work on Internet explorer browser not on any other browser. If you are using Internet explorer browser already, try resetting the internet explorer.

Please follow below mentioned steps to reset IE:

• Close all Internet Explorer and Windows Explorer windows that are currently open.
  • Open Internet Explorer by clicking the Start button. In the search box, type Internet Explorer, and then, in the list of results, click Internet Explorer.
  • Click the Tools button, and then click Internet options.
  • Click the Advanced tab, and then click Reset. Select the Delete personal settings check box if you would also like to remove browsing history, search providers, Accelerators, home pages, Tracking 
  • Protection, and ActiveX Filtering data.
  • In the Reset Internet Explorer Settings dialog box, click Reset.
  • When Internet Explorer finishes applying default settings, click Close, and then click OK.
  • Close Internet Explorer.
  • Your changes will take effect the next time you open Internet Explorer.

Refer the following link which has step to resolve the issue:

http://dell.to/15rc1yD

Awaiting your response!

4 Operator

• 

3.3K Posts

September 3rd, 2013 18:00

Hi aardsuz,

Please follow the steps from the above post and let me know how it goes.

4 Posts

September 3rd, 2013 22:00

Hi Rajesh,

Thank you for your post.  I followed the instructions but still have exactly the same problem.  

Do you have any other suggestions?

Kindly,

Suzanne

4 Operator

• 

3.3K Posts

September 4th, 2013 18:00

Hi aardsuz,

Kindly private message me the service tag of the computer so that I can take this case forward. To private message the service tag click my User name and click Start conversation.

Awaiting your response!

September 10th, 2013 13:00

Mr wonderful Dell rep PLEASE sort me out also, whoever you are......

I am in the same boat with my XPS 15 L501x, followed all the instructions but cant get past "Service Tag is already registered or is invalid".

Did this get resolved, if so, How?

Thanks for any help

4 Posts

A wonderful Dell rep saw my post and got it sorted out for me.  :emotion-55:

4 Operator

• 

3.3K Posts

September 10th, 2013 17:00

Hi stinnyscot,

Install .Net framework 4.5 version from the below link:

http://dell.to/1eBE4Cx

Also, refer the following link which has Mydell Downloads FAQ’s:

http://dell.to/1eBE3yD

If the issue persists, Kindly private message me the service tag of the computer. To private message the service tag click my User name and click Send Private Message.

Awaiting your response!

4 Posts

November 25th, 2014 13:00

I've never been able to resolve this issue, since I first bought my PC. When i called customer support I was told I'd have to pay $89 for them to resolve the issue. Pay for access to software I already own. Nice.

May 23rd, 2015 22:00

Do you still work at dell? can you please teach your other tech advisors how to do this... because for 6 months I have been getting the run around!!!

No Events found!