Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

August 6th, 2014 14:00

product key provided with the laptop do not work

I have laptop inspiron 5537 and i need to re install  win 8 that provided with it but the CD rejects the product key that provided i need soon answer ,please

contact me on 

<ADMIN NOTE: Email id removed as per privacy policy>

9 Legend

• 

16K Posts

August 6th, 2014 17:00

What installation media are you using? What did the system come preinstalled with Windows 8.0 or Windows 8.1? Home or Pro?

Firstly if the installation media is a retail download from the Windows setup its locked to a distribution, Home or Pro. If you try to install Home with a Pro .iso you will have issues and vice versa.

The OEM .iso and the TechNet .iso do not have this issue and have both the Pro and Home image included.

Next Windows 8.1 rejects Windows 8.0 keys and vice versa during installation which is the most likely cause of your problem.

Follow my video which has some workarounds

More information can be found on my guide here:

http://dellwindowsreinstallationguide.com/a-clean-install-of-windows/microsoft-product-activation/obtaining-your-oem-bios-embedded-slp-product-key-using-rw-everything-oem-only/

9 Legend

• 

87.5K Posts

August 6th, 2014 17:00

You need the OEM Dell disc or recovery media - contact Dell to order one (free of charge under warranty;  $50 or so otherwise).

August 7th, 2014 16:00

Frist :Thanks for answer

Second :the system came preinstalled with win 8.0 home the laptop came with a win 8 home CD licensed for dell system and withe a product key when i tried to re-install the windows again from the CD it rejects the product key

I tried to use rw-everything but it has not the  MSDM tab i do not know what should i do ??

9 Legend

• 

16K Posts

August 7th, 2014 17:00

If both the Windows 8.0 Home Reinstallation DVD cannot pick up your Windows 8.0 product key and RW-Everything cannot find a MSDM tab it essentially means there is no BIOS embedded SLP key.

You can attempt installation with a generic product key and then update to the latest BIOS version see updating the BIOS:

http://dellwindowsreinstallationguide.com/updating-the-bios/

A BIOS update might amend issues with the key not showing. Otherwise you might have to call Dell Technical Support. They should be able to help you however might insist on motherboard replacement.

August 9th, 2014 12:00

Sorry ,but my BIOS version is A07 and at dell website the latest one for my laptop is A06

Now ,What should I do????  

9 Legend

• 

16K Posts

August 9th, 2014 13:00

You will need to call Dell Technical Support with this one, we cannot help you get a new key on the forum.

August 12th, 2014 11:00

Hi ,I found a BIOS update A08 fpr my inspiron 5537 and I download it ,then I installed it 

Now my BIOS version is A08 

What should I do next ????

9 Legend

• 

47K Posts

August 12th, 2014 12:00

Ubuntu 12.04.5 LTS (Precise Pangolin) will install and work on your system and is supported until 26 April 2017.

ubuntu-12.04.5-dvd-amd64.iso

Windows 8 licensed systems from Dell have no COA sticker. if the bios has a windows 8 key it wont ask you for a key it will just install. Actual Legal Media from Dell for Dell will not have any key on the system or package.  By default Dell does not ship Windows Reinstall Media.

It seems unclear to me that you got this system Directly from Dell.

The Windows 8 product key is a sequence of 25 letters and numbers divided into 5 groups of 5 characters each (ex: XXXXX-XXXXX-XXXXX-XXXXX-XXXXX) that is used to activate Windows 8 core or PRO edition that came with the system.

http://www.eightforums.com/tutorials/27129-product-key-find-windows-8-a.html

Windows 8 keys are encrypted stored in the Bios installed at the factory.  There are no more COA Stickers due to piracy. (OEM System Builder Versions Do Still have COA Stickers)

Windows 8 now comes with a Genuine Microsoft Label there are NO MORE Certificate of Authenticity (COA) Labels.

See the following examples of labels to look for.

Color-Shifting Ink
The color shift on the label is designed to change from one color to another when viewed from different angles,

making it easy to determine if it is genuine.

Windows 8: magenta to green

Windows 8 Pro: blue to purple

Windows RT: turquoise to purple

Genuine Microsoft Labels
Genuine Microsoft Labels

You could try Belarc Advisor 8.4

I don't know if this shows the key or not. (Versions Higher than 8.3c do Show the Key)

Version 8.4 supports Windows 8.1

• Operating Systems: Runs on Windows 8.1, 2012 R2, 8, 2012, 7, 2008 R2, Vista, 2008, 2003, XP, 2000, NT 4, Me, 98, and 95. Both 32-bit and 64-bit Windows are supported.
  • Browsers: Runs on Internet Explorer, Firefox, Safari, Opera, and many others.

However as you change versions by adding softpacks you should save the previous keys as they are removed and replaced with the PRO and MCE packs.  But windows will not clean install with an update pack so you need the original key in order to Install clean then do windows anytime upgrades back to PRO or MCE editions.

www.belarc.com/free_download.html

If you bought Windows 8.1 or Windows 8, you can download and install Windows from this page using just your product key. You'll have the option to install Windows now, later, or using media with an ISO file.  There are Generic Keys but they DO NOT allow you to download and create an ISO.

Windows 8.1

http://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/p/?LinkId=271128

Windows 8.0

http://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/p/?LinkID=317630

1 Message

August 1st, 2015 02:00

While using RW-everything software I couldn't find the MSDM tab , but there was an extra tab "UEFI" that I haven't seen in the screen-shots of this software in use. Can the key be stored in this partition of ACPI table

No Events found!