Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

February 16th, 2015 00:00

re-installing vista and windows 7 upgrade, on new motherboard?

Hi, 

I have a dell studio 1555, the mobo failed some months back, I have had a new motherboard, processor , graphics card, dvd drive and memory installed, the new mobo is from the studio 1558.

Now I was using a different windows up until now, since the change a few features aren't working, so I have been advised to re-install the o/s

Now the only discs I have are the original vista disc (dell oem) I can't find the product key for this (is it required?) and the win 7 upgrade.

What I want to know is will the vista disc work on the new motherboard as it is different from the original, though it's still dell studio?

Thanks in advance.

2 Posts

February 16th, 2015 06:00

Ok, I have the vista key from under the battery, only i am nervous that i'm using a different mobo, but it's still dell, hoping for an answer soon , as i want to try as soon as i finish my backup.

9 Legend

• 

16K Posts

February 17th, 2015 05:00

Technically all Dell Studio 1555s should have the OEM markers for Windows Vista installation so should all be eligible for installation by a Dell Windows Vista Reinstallation DVD which will automatically activate.

If your Windows 7 DVD is not upgrade only I would try installing it directly using this trick for product activation:

http://dellwindowsreinstallationguide.com/a-clean-install-of-windows/a-clean-install-of-windows-7/the-oem-or-retail-license-and-product-activation-windows-vista-7/product-activation-with-a-windows-7-upgrade-key-after-clean-installation/

If it is upgrade only, Microsoft recently broke the Digital River downloads for Windows 7 and replaced them with a non-functional tool so you may be stuck with the double install.

No Events found!