Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

March 20th, 2017 12:00

record from turntable to Inspiron 14R N4010

I want to record from a turntable with RCA jacks (Audio Technica AT-PL50 with a pre-amp) but my Inspiron N4010 does not seem to have a line-in jack.

1) If I can find a RCA to USB adapter, will that work? any specific recommendation on adapter?

2)  if the mic input is some kinda combo jack (3.5 mm) is that preferable to USB? 

3) can either of these options record in stereo? I'm not looking for audiophile quality but stereo would be nice

4) other options that are pretty straightforward? :) I'm looking for cheap & easy!

THANKS in advance for any suggestions, and feel free to laugh at my dated equipment! JB

4 Operator

• 

13.6K Posts

March 20th, 2017 22:00

my Inspiron N4010 does not seem to have a line-in jack.

Hello JB. The audio input port of the N4010 is not a standard combo port, but it might have a dual function -- mic jack and stereo line-in. The Inspiron 14R N4010 Setup Guide, page 23, says the port "Connects to a microphone or inputs signal for use with audio programs." If you plug in a mic and then see a popup box that asks you whether you plugged in a mic or a line-in, then it is a dual purpose port. You would have to have the proper Realtek audio driver, for your model and operating system, installed for any chance of that happening. If you do get the popup, then you could use your pre-amped turntable with it by getting the the adapters needed to go from male RCA to male 3.5 mm.plug, and then selecting line-in on the popup.

If you don't get the popup, or can't find some other way to configure the port, then it probably just functions as a mono mic jack, which would not be a good choice for your purpose. If you already have the adapters on hand you could try making a recording through the port and see if the result is in stereo or not, and if you can set the levels properly (when configured as a mic jack, there will be a mic pre-amp in the signal path, which will boost the line-level signal too high, but you might be able to over-ride that with the level settings).

If you don't have the popup or some other way to configure the port, the best solution would be to get a usb audio device with stereo line-in capability. The cheapest one I know of is the Behringer UCA 202. I have not used that device, but do have several other Behringer products that I am happy with. Look out for the many inexpensive usb "stereo" audio jacks that only have a mono mic port. The "stereo" in those descriptions refers to the output port.

2 Posts

March 21st, 2017 10:00

thank you, I'll try these suggestions! I appreciate the detailed response... I'll post again to followup once I try some of these options.

No Events found!