Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

July 8th, 2011 02:00

reinstalling vista

I am trying to reinstall vista  from a recovery drive on my Dell Inspiron 6400Laptop. I reboot and go into repair my computer, it comes up with a log in screen for "Other User" which profile doesnt exist on the pc, in fact there is only one user and ther is no password on the account that I use! The achine had a virus and I have scan and cleaned out the system using several antivirus (AVG, Malwaarebytes, all full trial versions). Does anyone know how to get around this Other User log in that is in my way. Have tried administrator as a user name and several other combinations?

9 Legend

• 

47K Posts

July 8th, 2011 12:00

The malware has corrupted the Recovery image.  You will have to install a new drive  from scratch.

9 Legend

• 

16K Posts

July 8th, 2011 16:00

Its a long shot, you could try logging into windows, creating an administrator account as "Other User" and supplying a password with it. Then using that account when prompted to access the recovery partition. If not you will need to install Windows with discs as mentioned.

To reinstall Windows by disc you will require.

1. Dell Media Direct Disc

2. Dell Vista Disc

You should download the standalone versions of Vista Service Pack 1 and Vista Service Pack 2.

Also download the drivers and downloads from the Dell drivers and download page.

You will need (save them in appropriate folders on a USB flash drive):

System Utilities - Dell Notebook Software 

Chipset - Intel

Chipset - Ricoh

Video - ATI, Intel or NVIDIA Enter Service tag in downloads page (not on the forum) for a more specific list.

Communications - Conexant Drivers

Network - Broadcom Drivers

Audio - Sigmatel

Mouse & Keyboards - Touchpad

Network - Wireless Card (Intel or Dell Wireless) Enter Service tag in downloads page (not on the forum) for a more specific list.

Network - Bluetooth (not present or 350 or 355, install driver then patch). Enter Service tag in downloads page (not on the forum) for a more specific list.

Applications - Dell Quickset

Diagnostics

To reinstall windows using the discs, first insert the media direct disc, power down and fold F12 when booting up, select boot from cd/dvd, follow the prompt as appropriate (option 1 or 2).

Then insert the Vista Disc and power down. Again boot from the disc by holding F12 at boot up, select boot from cd/dvd.

Follow the onscreen instructions.

Once you have installed Vista, install the service packs and then the drivers in the order I have listed.

Once that is done insert the media direct desktop while in vista, and run the setup to install media direct. Open media direct and update it 3 times until you are at version 4.7. 

That is the system at basic factory settings. You may also of had a roxio disc you can install that if you want.

Then update Windows.

Select a browser, install security software and your applications and copy your data over. Software I recommend is listed below if you are interested just google search them.

No Events found!