Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

S

November 13th, 2016 09:00

repeated BSODs after each Windows 10 update preventing me to work

This is really annoying, I own a Dell Latitude laptop since last year  and most of the times after a windows update it goes in BSOD or fails to start completely at random, mostly when  I am teaching  or I am on a train and need to work on  my laptop.

The laptop works one day and then the next it does not

Dell support has changed hard drive, RAMs, AC cord and device, to no avail. The computer passes all the  tests,

I am at loss. I need to have a reliable machine for work and I think Dell should put more effort in  supporting  their clients

I have  put my minidumps and reports here https://www.dropbox.com/sh/0qibbcf9rd1p99e/AAAHmMYbZdSgTUUW3esuvg1ha?dl=0

I hope you can give relevant and final advice. Failing that, you will hear from my *** because the amount of work hours I am losing because of this is seriously damaging.

I look forward to hearing from you soon  with a reliable solution, as I am not the only one  having these  recurring problems.

4 Operator

• 

9.4K Posts

November 14th, 2016 10:00

Hi stellastai,

Thanks for posting.

In order for the experts on this Forum to assist you better, please post what model Latitude laptop you have.  

14 Posts

November 14th, 2016 11:00

dear Robert P

it is a Latitude 3450. I tried to get it replaced while under warranty, because basically it never worked, it always crashed randomly and unpredictably.

Today I spent the whole afternoon installing drivers from Dell's website; I hope this is a solution. Please advise if you need any reports or other info. thanks.

4 Operator

• 

9.4K Posts

November 15th, 2016 03:00

Thank you.

Here is some information you may find helpful for your situation.

14 Posts

November 15th, 2016 03:00

sorry, the link points to here www1.euro.dell.com/.../default.aspx

which is just the general page for Dell in Europe; please note I am a European customer. Do you have another link?

4 Operator

• 

9.4K Posts

November 15th, 2016 05:00

Apologies for the mis-directed link.  See if this works better:

http://dell.to/2f0D1Ui

14 Posts

November 15th, 2016 09:00

so, here is what I did in the meantime.

1) on Sunday I reinstalled all drivers from the Dell support site, although SupportAssit said there was no need to do so.

2) the Windows update KB3200970, which had failed last Friday, installed itself.

The laptop refuses to start, it goes blue screen and says the system fails to start. I used the Dell repair appearing on the screen, to no avail.

3) I followed the instructions in the link you posted above and created an USB support with WIndows 10.

Startup Repair failed saying Impossible to repair your PC, choose Advanced Options or Shutdown system.

Log file: E:\WINDOWS\System32\Logfiles\Srt\SrtTrail.txt

but then I look for E drive and there is no E drive on my PC. I found those files in SRT on C: drive, same path, and you can see them in here www.dropbox.com/.../AAAHmMYbZdSgTUUW3esuvg1ha

So I restarted, and followed what indicated in your link. Automatic Repair with the USB key failed.

Bootrec /fixmbr

went okay

Bootrec /fixboot

went okay

Bootrec /scanos

says: Total Windows installations identified: 0

then does nothing

Bootrec /rebuildbcd

says: Total Windows installations identified: 0

then does nothing

I try to go ahead reinstalling Windows 10 on top of my system, it tells me to restart the system and then reinsert the USB key, and I do so, but no installation starts.

Windows 10 restarts normally.

When I check, SupportAssist says I have to install Chipset Intel (R) Management ENgine 11.0.0.1163 which I already did 5 times today. Everytime it completes the process, but then when I go back it looks like it hasn't reinstalled.

I have to have this laptop reliable and functioning by this Friday for teaching in classroom.

The laptop has already passed all the hardware tests from Dell.

I did the Driver Verifier test as per instructions and the laptop immediately went in BSOD with unspecified DRIVER_VERIFIED_DETECTED_VIOLATION. Minidump file is here https://www.dropbox.com/s/gnu1mf839pnrh90/111516-20281-01.dmp?dl=0

Then I had to rollback to my recovery point I made before Driver Verifier, because the system wouldn't start.

What is my next step?

I really thinK Dell should replace this with a functioning laptop. They keep refusing to do so, but I paid 600€ for a worthless machine and I am furious.

4 Operator

• 

6.4K Posts

November 15th, 2016 17:00

"I try to go ahead reinstalling Windows 10 on top of my system, it tells me to restart the system and then reinsert the USB key, and I do so, but no installation starts"

:emotion-2:

1.Power on computer,wait a few minutes, insert the recovery media into a USB port and then power off computer.

2.Power the computer on again, quickly start tapping F12 key continuously until you see Preparing one time boot menu.At the boot menu, select the USB media under UEFI BOOT

3. Select your keyboard language. .

4 Operator

• 

6.4K Posts

November 15th, 2016 18:00

4 Operator

• 

6.4K Posts

November 15th, 2016 18:00

If you're able to boot back into windows......

Windows 10 Reset: How to Wipe a Computer Clean Start Over & Save Personal Files - Step by Step Free:

https://youtu.be/eXaO_sw9a-U

14 Posts

November 16th, 2016 05:00

I just bought an official Dell Windows 10 set of CDs (I had updated this laptop from the internet) and I will try to reinstall with that one.

Do you confirm this is the only solution?

4 Operator

• 

6.4K Posts

November 17th, 2016 08:00

Any updates stellastai ? I'm hoping those CDs work for you.....:emotion-2:

4 Operator

• 

6.4K Posts

Yes, I do have (bunch) a few suggestions.:emotion-2:

First - I like to suggest you click on the link below to get a fundamental sense of what each driver does for your computer. Furthermore, whenever you're installing drivers, you should install each driver one at a time or in correct order.

How to reinstall drivers in the correct order | Dell US

14 Posts

the CDs  haven't arrived yet.

In the meantime, on Windows support group they identified my dump files and told me that the driver with problems was usb3Hub.sys USB 3.0 Prototype Hub Driver, and that I should uninstall it and upgrade it.

I did so, but when looking for the newest drivers (both on Dell and Intel websites), all the ones I tried where incompatible with my system. I will test the laptop for a couple of days like this, but do you have any other suggestions in case it does not work?

Also, SupportAssist advises to install Chipset Intel (R) Management ENgine 11.0.0.1163 which I already did 5 times today. Everytime it completes the process, but then when I go back it looks like it hasn't reinstalled.

I am particularly scared of tomorrow's weekly Windows Update, as I need the laptop for a class I have to give in the afternoon...

14 Posts

dear lsufan51, I don't see any of the two links you mention in both of your latest messages. Perhaps try not to put them in < brfackets? Can you please post them again? thanks

4 Operator

• 

6.4K Posts

" official Dell Windows 10 set of CDs "

Please click on link below, hopefully it will be a help to you. I hope you're able to fix your computer before Friday.

Reset or reinstall Windows 10 on your Dell computer

No Events found!